Barber pole worm

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hi all,

The vet just told me that my goats have barber pole worm. Now this is my first experience with this issue. I’m freaking out to be honest. I have a bottle of safeguard, but the vet said to go and pick up ivermectin from her, which I’m going to do in the morning.

Am I in a race with time here? Goats have 0 symptoms of anything going on. They’re active, running and jumping, eating and drinking and pooping well. They’re 10 months old now.
Sequential dewormings are not needed with other classes of dewormers such as ivermectin (Ivomec®), moxydectin (Cydectin) or levamisole (Tramisol, Levasole or Prohibit®) are used because they are effective at killing arrested larva of the Barberpole worm.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hi all,

The vet just told me that my goats have barber pole worm. Now this is my first experience with this issue. I’m freaking out to be honest. I have a bottle of safeguard, but the vet said to go and pick up ivermectin from her, which I’m going to do in the morning.

Am I in a race with time here? Goats have 0 symptoms of anything going on. They’re active, running and jumping, eating and drinking and pooping well. They’re 10 months old now.
A Vaccine for Barber Pole Worm. Barbervax® was developed by the Moredun Research Institute, a UK-based animal health charity owned by farmers, with support from several Australian entities. ... Barbervax® controls barber pole worm (Haemonchus contortus) disease by reducing fecal egg counts and thus, the build-up of infections.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
A Vaccine for Barber Pole Worm. Barbervax® was developed by the Moredun Research Institute, a UK-based animal health charity owned by farmers, with support from several Australian entities. ... Barbervax® controls barber pole worm (Haemonchus contortus) disease by reducing fecal egg counts and thus, the build-up of infections.

The vaccine is not available/approved in the US.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The vaccine is not available/approved in the US.
That's sad to hear, they work extremely well. Especially here in the Philippines where there is warm to hot weather, they are prone to barber pole worm. What are the alternatives then?

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's sad to hear, they work extremely well. Especially here in the Philippines where there is warm to hot weather, they are prone to barber pole worm. What are the alternatives then?

Well, as has been already mentioned in this thread, there are drugs (like ivermectin), careful cleaning of the living area, rotational grazing, and selecting for parasite resistance in breeding animals. :idunno

Jeff n Jenny

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
@Beekissed don't you also use Shaklee's Basic H in your water for worms?
I recently heard of that for the first time on a youtube vid by Joel Salatin. Do you have a dosing recommendation?
I've been experimenting with Copper Sulfate (CuSO4) but lack the lab and $$ to monitor blood/tissue samples.
Do you know the ingredients of Basic H ?

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thats gr
Well, as has been already mentioned in this thread, there are drugs (like ivermectin), careful cleaning of the living area, rotational grazing, and selecting for parasite resistance in breeding animals. :idunno
That's good to know, it's a good thing that there are options there, Here we only have the later. Good luck with your sheeps.