Baymule’s 2021 Lambing

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, what do y'all think of this?

I've been racking my brains trying to figure out what did I do different, that 2 ewes that have NEVER had twins--had twins! And what made 2 ewes that have twins--have triplets?

We were in drought mode last summer. I have little grass as it is, but in drought, it didn't grow back very fast after they grazed. The side pasture had a strip of rich giant bermuda that I watered. I tractored the meat chickens on it, planting the giant bermuda when I moved the tractor over daily.

Then in late June, we cleaned out the sheep barn, BJ used the tiller to break up the deep litter, a neighbor kid and I shoveled it into the mule and we spread it over Pasture #1 and #2. We were blessed with rain shortly after that.
I kept the sheep off to give the grass a chance to grow.

(15) Making A Pasture | Page 37 | BackYardHerds - Goats, Horses, Sheep, Pigs & more

I had planted bahia grass seed in the horse pasture behind the barn last spring and kept the horses and sheep off of it. It got so dry that I wouldn't let the sheep go eat the browse because I was afraid of their sharp hooves digging up the struggling bahia. Finally we got enough rain to settle the dust and I put the ewes and Ringo in the horse pasture the last of August, right after putting Ringo in with the ewes. They grazed it for a couple of weeks.

The sheep were also able to graze Pasture #1 and #2, where we had spread the compost from cleaning out the barn.

I usually have good pasture available for them in the fall, but have never covered the ground with rich compost like that. Was that enough to give the ewes such fertility?

So here's the kicker. I raised Giant Pink Banana squash last year. I had so much of it that I started feeding it to the sheep in late August for treats. I made pies, the sheep got the seed pulp and the cooked skins. They loved it. I chopped up the squash with a machete and gave it to them. They got a squash practically every day, sometimes 2 of them. So I'm thinking THAT is what I did DIFFERENT. Sure, they got good pasture and browse, but I usually have that available for them.

(15) Giant Pink Banana Squash | BackYardHerds - Goats, Horses, Sheep, Pigs & more

Attachments

• 1612724047783.png
    1612724047783.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 66

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
No idea what you did. Sometimes a ewe that normally singles will twin just as a ewe that normally twins will single. It is possible that feeding the squash gave them some extra vitamins, or it could have also been the time of year and weather when Ringo was breeding the girls.

He was breeding the in August. When did you remove their last group of kids? Did they have more time than normal between weaning and breeding? That might have allowed them to eat better and flush eggs.

Or they are just being sheep, heard you discussing culling thm with 'BJ, and decided to throw you a curve ball! :cool:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
What you did is called flushing, even though you didn't do it on purpose. By putting them on the fresh grass right after putting Ringo in, it was a "shot in the arm" idea.... the fresh green grass will cause the ovaries to produce more eggs. We have done it often with the sheep. Giving them good feed, and hay, keeps them in good shape, putting them on fresh grass and putting the ram in, stimulates the hormones, and that is what is called flushing.... done all the time by breeders wanting to increase the number of eggs released by the ovaries. It can be done off season with a sudden infusion of grain that an animal doesn't get... but fresh grazing is the best way.

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What you did is called flushing, even though you didn't do it on purpose. By putting them on the fresh grass right after putting Ringo in, it was a "shot in the arm" idea.... the fresh green grass will cause the ovaries to produce more eggs. We have done it often with the sheep. Giving them good feed, and hay, keeps them in good shape, putting them on fresh grass and putting the ram in, stimulates the hormones, and that is what is called flushing.... done all the time by breeders wanting to increase the number of eggs released by the ovaries. It can be done off season with a sudden infusion of grain that an animal doesn't get... but fresh grazing is the best way.
I agree with this, also, maybe having the lesser feed last year kind of made them think food was scarce and then this year when they got a bunch they produced like crazy like deer tend to do after a drought year and how plants bloom like crazy when they are stressed because they think they are going to die so they put everything they have into making new babies.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I usually have good fall grass to flush them before and/or during breeding. The only thing I did different was to spread the compost on the pasture, keep them off until late summer, and give them the squash. The browse they got in the horse pasture behind the barn is something they usually get too, although it was new sprouts, so that might be something.

So maybe the richness of the composted grass, the new sprouts of forage, and the nutrition of the squash all together worked to increase the fertility of the ewes. I am sure going to plant more squash for them this year. Even if it didn't contribute to their fertility, as a treat, it was a big hit with them and only cost me the seed and water.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I certainly wasn't discounting the added nutrition of the squash. Anything that is nutrient rich, can contribute to the "flushing". But after an abnormally dry season the green grass would definitely add alot to their system.... Plus, growing the squash is not like a big money drain... so it has several benefits on many levels....
Years ago animals were fed alot of stored winter squashes and pumpkins and turnips/root vegs over the course of the winter to add to their diet in variety and in nutrition.