Baymule’s Journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
She's such a diva, lol. I bet she'll learn to like him ... someday...maybe!

Did you say he's only 3 months old? He looks pretty big!
Sheba went and laid in the ewes feed bunk and sulked. I hugged her and told her she was still Momma’s baby. I’m totally nuts… y’all know that, right?

Yeah, 3 months. I think he’s going to be big and stocky.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Female Anatolians are not fond of pups except for their own. Male Anatolians absolutely love puppies. Let him in with Sentry and see what happens. By keeping him in a separate pen they learn that he is not one of their own pack.

Ricka growled and sent Angel rolling the first and second times she met her. Bubba however after the first bark fell absolutely in love with her. Sheba will train him. Sentry will protect him, play with him, and train him. Rika growled at Angel whenever she came near her food dish or tried to play with her. Bubba let Angel eat out of his food dish, and constantly wore a sappy look of adoration. She could steal his chew bone, jump on him and bite his ears and he would just lap it up. At 3-4 months she would jump up and grab one of his ear and just hang from it, dangling.

Bring Sentry out on a leash and see how he acts with the puppy. That is what we did with Bubba and he fell instantly in love with the baby. Male Anatolians are pushovers for babies.

If Sheba growls at the puppy or even lunges at him, don't panic, she is a female aka "bitch", and sees the puppy as work for herself. She is immediately asserting her dominance over the pack and the puppy has to learn its place in the hierarchy - i.e. at the bottom. LOL

I was about to send you several ads from Livestock Weekly for working LGDs available in TX. I thought you wanted a female puppy though. Why did you come home with a male? A male Anatolian puppy can run with the pack and will get along with another male Anatolian until about 2 years old when hormones kick in and he wants to be the dominant male. Then you might have to separate them to protect Sentry who will not give up his dominant male position without a fight. With his bad hips, he will be at a disadvantage, particularly if the younger dog is larger and stronger. Otherwise, age and experience can often win out in a fight for dominance, but you will have holes in each dog to treat. The antibiotic mastitis tube Tomorrow is a good antibiotic to use on puncture wounds. Clean out the punctures with iodine than fill them with the Tomorrow medication. One tube will treat several punctures.

I am also trying the mastitis tubes Today on abscess holes. After an abscess is emptied of pus, it leaves a huge pocket where it was drained. I flush it a couple of times with iodine to make sure to get all the pus out, then fill it up with mastitis medicine. DS1 and I think our sheep seem to be getting them where they are rubbing on the feeders, wire, and getting poked with sharp alfalfa stalks. If you have ever run an alfalfa sliver under your skin, they are really sharp.

Good luck on the new pup. I love the name Buford T. Justice! Especially when said with a down home accent! LO:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I got a male because that’s all they had left. I will let Sentry and Sheba raise and teach the puppy until he’s bigger and older. I plan on separating him and his assignment will be Cooper and his harem. Sheba and Sentry are with the ewes and lambs. As a 3 month old, I’m not comfortable turning him out with lambs. But Ewenique sure would roll him, so there’s that. LOL I’ll get him trained and working, in about a year or so, I’ll get a female puppy. One at a time.

It’s raining through Thursday. The lot is slop. Muddy, water, more rain, I was walking in the lot yesterday, my boot got stuck and I nearly fell down in the poop and mud. The ground is saturated. Water runs over the road by my driveway and pools on the other side, there’s nowhere for the water to go, it doesn’t drain off. I have a mud farm. I go out and feed in the rain. Doctoring Reina’s eye gets to be a lot of fun too. By the end of the day, even with peeling off layers of overalls, jackets, hoodies, etc. I look like a drowned rat on the side of decay.

I have therapy this morning, the last one. Then home, hook up trailer so I can take Reina to the vet at 1:00 Plus the rain.

On a positive, I got my Kawasaki mule back yesterday evening. On a negative, I got the bill too. $2212.82 Parts were $1300, I think I got a good deal on the labor. He’s had it since October. When he fixed one thing, he’d find another, then it was wait on parts. Engine rebuild kit and crankshaft were the most costly and he found a used crankshaft from a late model mule with only a couple hundred hours on it. Otherwise a new one was $1600 just by itself! What? Is there a wrecking yard for mules and 4-wheelers? When BJ bought it, it had just been rebuilt. Unfortunately it wasn’t done right, it never was “right”. By the time I turned it over to Chris, it was smoking, running raggedy and a kick away from a graveyard. It’s right now! With that diesel engine all new and rebuilt, it ought to run forever now.

I’ll be ready to load up chainsaw, machetes and hit the fence line. I desperately NEED this front pasture!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Meet and greet.

I talked on the phone with @Ridgetop and she gave me pointers for introducing Buford to Sentry and Sheba. They didn’t growl or snap at him. I’m sure given time, they will knock him about a little to teach him his place.

Buford is about 2/3 the size of Sentry now.

Let’s play!

BC16EDAD-0CBF-4B67-A137-CAA30321CE34.jpeg

Sheba checked him out too.

E237C18A-CC4B-4F13-9B55-6C22B328D7A2.jpeg

Both dogs sniffed around, sniffed Buford, and were satisfied. Then they asked to go back to work.

I would have stayed out there longer, but I was cold, and came in.

Didn’t take Reina to the vet, reset appointment for Saturday. There is a sloppy mud hole between the gate and the trailer. With a diesel truck, I just don’t want that heavy engine to sink, call a neighbor with a big tractor to pull it out…. It didn’t sound attractive. Friday is supposed to be sunny. I’ll reappraise the situation Friday evening.