Baymule's Pigs 2017-2018

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like ya came out really good with your CL find there Bay. I apologize for missing out on the posts on your thread, I got sidetracked on so much other things happening it totally slipped my mind. How is the piglets doing now?....or was she not pregnant?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like ya came out really good with your CL find there Bay. I apologize for missing out on the posts on your thread, I got sidetracked on so much other things happening it totally slipped my mind. How is the piglets doing now?....or was she not pregnant?
We took them both to slaughter. The sow came into heat right before we took them, whether she got bred or not.....? I realized that I have more than enough to do, raising a litter of pigs would require a better shelter that I don't have time to build. It would require more projects that I just don't want to have to do right now. So off she went.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hanging weight was 245 on the sow and 214 on the boar. One of the families buying a half hog backed out because they had to rush their daughter to the ER, she had surgery to remove her appendix. They had no insurance, the bill is $29,000. I understand, that's their child. She was gracious enough to "store" the meat in her freezer until we can do something with it. We have liver, chopped fat and a hog head split in two in a neighbor's freezer.

The other family over paid us. Their half was $488, he handed us $500 and refused change. We are brining their bacon and will smoke and slice it in a few days. He offered to pay us for that, but we refused.

Processing on both hogs came to $584.05
Purchase both hogs $75
Feed $164
Total cost $823.05
Less $500

Our cost $323.05

We had the hogs 36 days. We are pleased.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our lovely healthcare system.

Glad the pigs worked out! You have really nice breakfast, lunch and dinner for a long time.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Tonight we had porkchops from the sow. They were less marbled with fat than the boar. They were just on the verge of being a little chewy. The flavor was excellent. I would give the boar an A++ and the sow an A for meat quality, tenderness and taste. We are really happy that we bought these hogs. Along with the porkchops, we had a green leafy salad with pomegranate.

img_2212-jpg.5448

img_2211-jpg.5447

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had 90 pounds of meat in our friends freezer, no way to fit it into ours. A friend in Livingston offered us a small chest freezer last week when we were down there. We were in the car, not the truck, so we didn't get it.

But what to do with this meat? We decided to give it to a couple that we have been friends with for years. We gave them the freezer that we couldn't pick up, as well, since they didn't have one. They were thrilled beyond words. We were blessed with all this meat, we made a darn good deal on it. We have plenty, so why not share the wealth. They got the freezer yesterday, took it home, cleaned it up and plugged it in.

They came up today, we had lunch and visited. I had cooked some of the pan sausage this morning and they ate some of it. I cooked a pork roast for our lunch and they loved it. They couldn't believe that we were just giving them the meat. We packed their meat into their ice chests and they went home.

We thank God for all our blessings. He gives us so much.