Beef burgers found to contain horsemeat NOW READY MEALS 100% horsemeat

Royd Wood

Reaction score
10 million burgers have been pulled from the shelves in the UK and Ireland - now at 29% thats alot of horse meat. As cricket says you cant blame a little washing error with the grinder

SuburbanFarmChic

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
What gets me is that now that 10mil burgers will probably be tossed. Not even used for dog food, just condemned to the waste heap. That shows our real value for commercial animals and how they are processed.

I value knowing exactly what is in our meat so we butcher our own sheep, goats, cows, pigs, chickens, rabbits, etc. But I could fill our freezers over and over and over again out of what I pull out of dumpsters for the dogs to eat.
Shocking.

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks everyone for sharing all this info.... Interesting I say!

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like to think that when I buy beef...it is only beef.

In this case, had they sold it as beef/horse/pig burgers and charged a lesser price than beef...it probably would have sold.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
People have stated most of what is on my mind. For me to say the rest of what I think would get me banned! :D

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
SuburbanFarmChic said:
What gets me is that now that 10mil burgers will probably be tossed. Not even used for dog food, just condemned to the waste heap. That shows our real value for commercial animals and how they are processed.

I value knowing exactly what is in our meat so we butcher our own sheep, goats, cows, pigs, chickens, rabbits, etc. But I could fill our freezers over and over and over again out of what I pull out of dumpsters for the dogs to eat.
Shocking.
Wanna go dumpster diving? :D

Sugarbushdraft

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Straw Hat Kikos said:
I agree! I see free ones all the time and you see starving horses all the time too. People can't feed them. What's worse? To allow an animal to starve to death (a horrible way to die) or allow that animal to be humanly slaughtered and be able to feed families? Don't know bout ya'll but I like the second. Better for everyone.

Besides, alot of horses are already being shipped to Mexico and Canada for slaughter anyways. A horse is a horse, which is an animal, which to me is food. Just sayin'
This crosses into the 'Is hunting OK' line...

You see, theres those dumb[censored] who believe people are equal to animals.
Theres those ever DUMBER[censored] who say that its equal to murder [Murder : The unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another. Do I see animal there? No.]
And then theres those so dumb no matter amount of insults could equal their frustrating-ness who think that killing an animal is murder, say that we intruded on them. And then say [And I'm NOT making this up, either]
"Support farm factories"
.___.
I have no words, for that person.
And yes, I've met a person who though that.
.____.
._________________.

Sorry that was random, xD.

Royd Wood

Reaction score
I still say this story has some way to go yet as I for one would not knowingly eat horse meat today due to all the worming and Bute meds stuck in them.
This horse meat was I suspect delibertly being used as a cheeper option and I dont think they were too selective which horses went into the grinder plus some of the horse slaughter houses were not approved for processing meat for human consumption.
A UK horse slaughterhouse has had its licence pulled today for above reason - coincidence or what ????????

Kstaven pm me with your thoughts then we dont loose you that way :lol:

PendergrassRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The reason why we don't eat horse in the USA is because all the bleeding hearts that view them as pets like dogs. I am a diehard horse lover, but I would eat horse. I wouldn't eat my own horse but a steak is a steak when it's on a plate. I wish we had slaughter for horses available in the USA, it would help cut down the horse over population and also fix the hay shortages.

My grandma ate horse a few times in her life and said it taste like lean beef. Sounds good to me :)