1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Goat Hooves
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Best Age for Purchasing First Cattle?

Discussion in 'Everything Else Cattle' started by arsmagic, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Sep 4, 2017
    WyndSyrin

WyndSyrin Chillin' with the herd

To answer your original post: In my humble opinion I would say if you want to have cows that are "docile" and people friendly, then I would start with some bottle calves about 2 months old. This way they will associate you with food and come to depend on you as "mamma." Raise them up and while you are doing that it is very wise to get them to respect you as the "head Cow" From there just feed them and get them used to being around you. Breed suggestions, I would would say maybe a Dexter. they are relatively smaller than most other cattle and can be used for both Milk and beef. At least so I have read

2. Sep 4, 2017
    Bossroo

Bossroo True BYH Addict

Humans have domesticated animals and plants for over 10,000 years now so that they could feed and clothe their families. Now these folks come along and say we should not feed animals, in this case cattle, to our families but keep them as pets and feed and care for them untill they die of old age. I guess that all of these generations of farmers have been all wrong. :th

jhm47 and Baymule like this.
  3. Sep 5, 2017
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

As the saying goes, "If you want to save a heritage breed, then eat it." The reason is, if there is no financial benefit for feeding and caring for an animal, the farmer (who is not a charity case and must make a living) has no reason to raise said animal.

We happily buy feeder pigs from breeders who raise heritage pigs. We give them the financial support to keep raising heritage pigs. We could choose to raise modern breeds for our feeder pigs (read that as meat for the freezer) but we choose to SAVE an old breed by eating it.

Simpleterrier likes this.
  4. Sep 5, 2017
    greybeard

greybeard True BYH Addict

A LOT of merit to this /\.

The reason so many species/breeds of animals and plant products have become threatened is that the top of the food chain no longer had much use for them.

jhm47 likes this.