Black Bears

Scooby308

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with them and livestock? Was out this morning scouting the deer population with my Dobie, and found a large pile of scat. I saw 2 small ones here about 4 years ago. Sad part is the scat is right smack in the middle of the area I want to use as paddocks.

I've dealt with bobcats, foxes, coyotes, and even people, but never bears as a predator. Will hot wires keep them out? I know if anything is determined enough it's going to get in. Going back out to pull fence today and taking all the dogs. Hoping urine will make it think twice about hanging out but that doesn't stop the deer population.

Between my Dobie and Rottie, the daughter's Rottie, and the wife's pug, that's a lot of pee. But like I say, it doesn't deter the deer.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Unless very hungry, normally a black bear won't mess with the adult livestock. They WILL take the young or small animals & chickens if they can get to them easily. Electric fencing is the only real way I've heard of to deter the bears. One of the ways to teach the bears to respect the wire is to "bait" it so they put their mouths on it and find out what happens. I've heard peanut butter works very well. Slab it on some tinfoil and wrap it tightly to the wire. When the bear licks it, they'll find out real fast that they don't want to touch the wire.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Well... until you actually HAVE a predator problem, she'll probably (like most everyone) recommend good fencing as the FIRST line of defense (and also to contain any potential wandering LGD who thinks they "own" and must guard/protect everything they see! ;)) That bear must have been pretty danged hungry!

Scooby308

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It was out in your neck of the woods. He knew the fence was hot. Walked up to it and played right down and started digging untill he had enough space to crawl thru . Crazy. I'm not too worried. About them as the pasture and barn will be secured with hot wire. In town, the next county over, one was ripping out buildings apart despite dogs in the neighborhood. They relocated it. My thoughts are if it gets too honery it'll be a bear rug.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have bears here but they aren't usually much of a threat for larger animals. Beehives are in big trouble though. Like @Latestarter said, a GOOD hot wire baited with a treat, bacon works well, is the place to start. Top, bottom, middle, and middle again, maybe even two fences. My friends SSS but I haven't had any at my house so I can't speak to what I personally would do. Hoping that my dog's barking will be enough of a deterrent.

LGDs are great BTW