Black beauty's kidding thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I agree with @Latestarter - in my goat book it says "allow 30 minutes after hard labor begins for the birth membranes to appear, another 30 for the first kid to be born, and 30 more minutes for the second and subsequent kids to be delivered. If things aren't resolved in that time frame, your doe needs help".
Also, I think that the placenta should've come out a little while ago if BB had only one kid. With two of my does (the third kidded in the middle of the night and I wasn't there) the placenta appeared 10-20 minutes after the last kid was born.

Congratulations on the doeling though! She has beautiful coloring. :love

SandDherds

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Nothing yet no placenta her ligs are still gone no active pushing I've seen but she is still digging my barn up she still has discharge. I went in again and not sure what I was felling there was slime and lots of ring like things but I couldn't get past that my hand wouldn't go further than that. On another note I think she has mastitis one side is fine but the other the baby wasn't drinking out ofso I tasted a tiny bit it was salty and there was pus coming out of it I got as much pus as I could out and haven't seen anymore pus so far so you think it mastitis her teat was pretty red aswell

SandDherds

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
she feeds her cleans her and protects her but other than that she doesn't care that much if she is taken away and she has stepped on her a few time. The doeling is still really skinny I have see her eat but she doesn't get much faster.

As for the vet I have one pretty close about 30 minuts away I'll try to call them but If not closest one is 2 1/2 hours away

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congrats! What a big girly! Ok, your concern about the baby. There is a chance she has another, but from the pictures I have seen, I personally believed she had a single and after what I saw(the size of the baby etc), I stay with that theory. Anyways, if you bump her and you feel nothing, no hardness/masses (aka another baby) she should be fine. If you bump her and feel just like soft underside, she is done. My ewe Rosie didn't pass her placenta for quite a few hours after she lambed. The udder on the other hand may be a problem. I hope you figure this all out soon, and once more congrats on a healthy and beautiful doeling! I'm not a goatie, and I only have a few lambings experience in sheep, but I read up as much as I can so I hope this is helpful :hugs

Pamela

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You may want to hand milk her a bit to make sure she doesn't have wax plugs blocking her teats.

SandDherds

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I think she is done I bumped her I felt nothing her under side is very tight but I don't think that means anything. I milked her all the way it lots of strings and clumps of pus until I got to the end then it was fine and looked like slightly darker creamier milk.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I'd guess she's done and only had the one. The udder is definitely an issue. I've heard all kinds of descriptions about what colostrum looks like, but clumpy and stringy weren't in any of them... I'd also still be looking for the placenta to evacuate... That should have been done by now as well. At this point, honestly, if it were me, I'd be getting her seen by a goat knowledgeable vet... soon. Really hoping this all sorts out for you.

SandDherds

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Okay so I might be able to get the vet out here but they said it will have to be tommorow as they have to much to do today (they are one of the most popular vets in Idaho) they said to just watch her take her temp and look for any signs of not eating or just acting sick. She ate most her grain and was eating her hay and has drank plenty of water and her temp is normal so I'm just watching her now...

SandDherds

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Still nothing no placenta. called the emergency clinic to see if someone would come out tonight or I can bring her in and they said they were doing a c-section on a mare and are already full and I'll have to wait till morning before they can do anything agian the just said to watch her and see if her behavior changes.

She does have white/clear discharge like when the baby was born but it could just be from when her sac popped. She is acting normal temp normal eating drinking and being a jerk to everything else but she is super good when it comes to milking. As for the what I think was mastitis it is gone for now anyways and a few very small clumps and of course me being the one who loves milk I take a sip and it taste like all the colostrum I have ever tasted before lol (you wouldn't believe the types if milk I have drank I have drank cat milk , elk milk last September when we went elk hunting and shot what we thought was a dry cow but she wasn't so I decided I would taste a sip so I squirted it into my mouth and let me tell you...that was the best milk I have ever had...EVER it was so creamy rich thick kinda and had alittle of a barny falvor with a bit of sweetness it was so good and i have drank rabbit milk and if you wanna know how I got cat milk and rabbit milk I just sucked straight from the teat of the cat and used a turkey baster on the rabbit) so I am happy about that just hope she passes the placenta tonight or tommorow

Status
Not open for further replies.