Blossom: A Nubian’s Story

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Stool sample collected and waiting to be transported to vet in the morning. Anxiously awaiting the results!!

RedCell and Probios given tonight. She’s also up to two small handfuls of chopped alfalfa and two full scoops of my cupped hands of beet pulp twice a day.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay...I’ve worked all weekend, attended a wedding, helped get a loose heifer in that went crazy during hoof trimming at our fairgrounds and ran all over the county, went to a graduation party, showers at my parents since something is up with the water heater, DH put out hay, and my back has acted up. Also spoiled Olaf during his last bit of time here on earth. I can go back to focusing on Blossom (and other projects) now.

Blossom test positive for strongyles again. The same vet did the fecal and he stated that she had remarkably less but he did feel as though she needed treated again with a follow up fecal in 3 weeks.

We haven’t started treatment yet with the craziness mentioned above so tonight we will weigh Blossom and start a 3 day SafeGuard worming again based on her weight.

I have a list of other things to do with her. We plan to check her hooves again, she will get a dose of red cell going into the worming with one the day after we finish. I think I’ll do another probios tomorrow night when she gets her wormer.

Just trying to do every little thing we can to help her along. I’m really excited to see what she weighs!

Her current feeding regimen is twice a day: 1 cup sweet feed, a whole scoop of beet pulp, and a half scoop of chopped alfalfa. She cleans her pan prior to the next feeding. Free choice grass hay is also always available and fresh provided daily.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
You expected that though... with half dosing the dewormer and not doing the double whammie (2 classes at once) that was the plan anyway.
She will have more strength now and less stress on the system.

Exactly! ;)

I was afraid to kill her with a heavy worming when she was so fragile. I’m still not going to give her some crazy dose though. I’ll treat again if necessary and switch to something else if need be.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Blossom started her worming treatment last night. We weighed her and she weighs 115#!!! She’s gained 9# in just under 2 weeks and 17# since we got her.

We used SafeGuard so she got a dose last night and tonight. I’ll give her another dose tomorrow night. We did give her red cell last night and trimmed her hooves. They’d grown out a crazy amount since the last trimming and I’m still trying to get them into the proper condition. My hope is that the next trimming will fix the issues that had started.

Blossom is getting some of her spunk back as she didn’t just want to stand with DH while I got everything pulled up based on her weight. She did well when I trimmed her hooves and he held her though. I think she wanted her mama near. ;):love

Funny thing to add...DH can’t remember her name for the life of him. For some reason he keeps calling her Willow. He knows that’s not her name so now he refers to her as Not Willow!! :rolleyes::lol::smack

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Got a pic of “Not Willow” to share! Lol She got her third dose of Safeguard and another dose of red cell tonight. Her gums are still pretty pale so I wanted to avoid dragging her system down too much. My parents have seen her in person and commented on her progress. (I’ve begun researching sending off blood but since I’ve not done it before, I’m learning. Of course, I got interrupted and need to finish figuring it out.)
2B0F6B1E-DE81-4254-B09B-6F6AE0E3999D.jpeg

On the subject of names, DH has no idea what half the baby goats’ names are. He knows the adults and Sparkle and CeCe. I’m not sure he knows any of the cats but Oscar and Mickey...I’ll have to test him! Lol. He does know the cows and heifer calves but not the bull calves. Dogs are a given. Chickens can have names?! Lol

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Took a pic of Ms. Blossom eating her buffet tonight. I find it interesting the way she will eat some of this and some of that like she’s grazing the pan.

05DC5F3A-6B63-4B14-8062-14F51EF93C93.jpeg

It appears that she has mostly chopped alfalfa. She actually has mostly beet pulp. I think the chopped alfalfa just spread a out more when I dump it since it’s lighter.