Blossom: A Nubian’s Story

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Miss Blossom this morning. She has no competition at feeding time so...
5CA31200-F218-4857-8755-F6F144C83E37.jpeg

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Trimmed Blossom’s hooves the other night. This pic shows you a bit of what I’m dealing with when it comes to trying to get them into shape.

9B591791-CF56-4284-A57E-6C5CBF43AB7E.jpeg

They are now even and seem to be a bit tender.

I talked to the vet today about the cattle work we had done and he told me that Blossom’s blood work went to 3 different labs: Purdue, Sage, and an unnamed one. I’m almost sick! I never imagined that I’d have to worry about which lab they’d send her blood too! Ugh!!

I’m SO torn! I really wanted to breed her as soon as I get results and now I’m looking at another delay. I think I’m just going to send everything off to WADDL. Here goes more money!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
You know, you can just go ahead and breed her if you want... If the test results come back with something bad, it's not going to make a difference in the end anyway. You will be culling her, or if keeping her, just lute her and start again...

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
She’s going to a pet home if she tests positive. I doubt they’ll want to deal with a pregnant dairy goat, kidding, and managing milking a contaminated doe, let alone what to do with the kids.

I won’t just breed her and lute her. It isn’t completely without risks. (Breedings when the female is too young are one thing.)

I feel stuck.

Latest posts