bobcats killed my sheep? graphic description

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Just throwing this out. Is it possible this was a two legged predator? Those are the meanest, most dangerous and unpredictable predator there is. The fact they weren't eaten makes me think it is possible.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
I kind of doubt it was your lone dog that killed 2 big rams. I don't know, it's a possibility I guess...but still doesn't mean it was her. My dogs sometimes miss when other critters come into the yard. One night I woke up because I heard my chickens making a huge racket (foxes were after them) and not a peep out of my 3 dogs who were all snoring away!!!

Hillsvale

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
jodief100 said:
Just throwing this out. Is it possible this was a two legged predator? Those are the meanest, most dangerous and unpredictable predator there is. The fact they weren't eaten makes me think it is possible.
I kind of wondered this myself... especially the slashed throat. I am sorry for your loss.

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
jodief100 said:
i really wouldnt think someone would do this, we are down the end of a dead end, and never had any issues with people or predators. also the wounds arent likely to be a person, otherwise i would have considered that too. boy i at least hope it wasnt... i do think if someone wanted something of mine dead they would kill my loud mouth guineas or dogs.
ETA: i agree about the slashed throat, but the other one like i described had its wool pulled off its back end and kind of chomped all on, and the punctures in the throat too..

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I think that your dog would have had blood somewhere on it. I had a dog kill a goat kid and drag it into the pond...the dog still had blood around the mouth even though it had been in the water.

Two legged predator...I know it's a scary thought - but what is the drug issue in your area...the drug crazed idiots will do things that you wouldn't normal think of a human for. I remember reading a story about a guy high on "bath salts" that stole and mutilated a pygmy goat in PA.

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
elevan said:
I think that your dog would have had blood somewhere on it. I had a dog kill a goat kid and drag it into the pond...the dog still had blood around the mouth even though it had been in the water.

Two legged predator...I know it's a scary thought - but what is the drug issue in your area...the drug crazed idiots will do things that you wouldn't normal think of a human for. I remember reading a story about a guy high on "bath salts" that stole and mutilated a pygmy goat in PA.
Good Lord, i really hope it was not a person who did this, and i still really dont think so but the thought makes me shiver. the punctures on the neck looked like teeth to me. as for the drug problem, thats closer to town not really out here. howcome they would go after the sheep and not the birds outback or horses or dogs? i do believe it was an animal.

my dog is a german shephard. i described her nature in my first post and how shes been exposed to numerous animals and children and always been fine. she was the one that was loose.
the other dog is some kind of mutt, good at alerting me when someone is driving down the road, or barks when my other dogs and cats run around.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with the post about cougars in the area. Bobcats are pretty small and rarely attack anything that large but cougars could inflict the deep slashes you describe as they attempt to catch a running sheep, even the wool missing off the back of one would indicate that kind of attack as well. Large predators usually start at the hind parts when eating deer, elk, etc. and a big cat could have started removing wool and started to bite open the skin.

Maybe your shepherd didn't bark due to being afraid.....the only time we had a confirmed cougar at our place, our old black and tan hound hid under the house and whimpered until we scared it off with a shotgun. Or, your shepherd startled the cougar before it could finish the job, who knows?

Might leave your carcass out, tie the dogs and sprinkle some flour around the carcass.....could tell you just what thing is prowling around your place.