Bottle jaw

jojo@rolling acres farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have goats - but no experience with this type of thing. I wonder, does she have an issue with her teeth? Do you have a vet in your area that sees/treats goats?

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
KareyABohr said:
I just went online and checked out pics of "bottle jaw" and my nanny does not have a hard lump. She actually has a smooshy fluid filled lower jaw and neck. Kind of like she has a double chin.

Any ideas?
Yes it's bottle jaw. You need to deworm with 4 different classes of wormers, 10 days apart. Also treat with B Complex and Red Cell.

KareyABohr

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
What brands specifically do you suggest, and should I use the cydectin again?

Thank you for all the good info! :bow

username taken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Griffin's Ark said:
All that said and I am way behind everyone else... You didn't tell us what breed she is. That is kind of important, cause what might work for a Nubian might not work for a Boer or even a Kiko or an Alpine. I would suggest Cydectin (quest) for worming. I really want to know what kind of goat is putting out a gallon and a half a day... I just want one thats all just one...

Chris
Really top producing Swiss breeds will do that easy ... there is a brilliant breeder of Saanens here in Aus, her FF yield 6L (1.59 gallons) on the first lactation and the second and subsequent lactation they yield 8L (2.11 gallons)

Griffin's Ark

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I am still behind! I just lost a Jacob to what I think was Barber pole worms. I am now going to try the Cydectin labled for sheep(oral drench) and give it to the goats and sheep (ordered from Jeffers). The lambs will be spotted with the pour on cattle Cydectin and given the oral drench. I am not sure if we will give the milkers the pour on spot or not. All the kids will get the oral drench. I also changed feed to a medicated sheep and goat feed to fight coccidiosis (several of our milkers have had scours). We are way to wet here this year. Rain is 4" above normal for our area and the worms and tics are having a feast! We have treated with oxytetracyline for scours, but it only works for short periods. Also look up the FAMACHA worming technique and find the color chart for the lower eyelids. That might shock you! We are going to base our treatments on the Famacha method from now on and give up the microscope except for extreme cases. I did a real laymans necropsy on our lamb and she had almost no blood. I believe that she died because she got scared by barking dogs and her heart started beating to fast for the amount of blood she had in her system. Worms are bad!

Chris

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
read somewhere to ivermectinPLUS, the plus is what gets the tough worm, liver-fluke i think is what was posted. haven't had to do that yet. prior to this episode, how long had it been since you last dewormed this particular goat? i am lucky and have 2 goat vets in our town, and have helped us a bunch with our nubian herd. do know several people that tried boer goats got out because there was no natural immunity to our worms. we found giving cydectin and ivermectin was like giving water, had to go back to the old cow wormer levasole. dont know what to do when that stops working. good luck. also get her vitamin shots, iron because she is anemic, and general vitamins as well