Bottle jaw

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Free, I think they make a special apparatus for drenches....sort of like a dosing syringe for sheep and goats.

Here's a link and pic of just such a thing:

http://www.pbsanimalhealth.com/cgi-...pgoat/sheepgoatdrenchingsyring.html?E+scstore

I do the ACV whenever I think about it but will probably do more once I have made my own supply of UP/ACV. The store bought is better than nothing but I really want the probiotics affect of the UP vinegar.

I have found that ACV has made the flavor of my eggs so much better! I've gotten an increase in compliments on the flavor since I started remembering to put ACV in their water more. I'll let you know if it tends to come out in the milk, as I put several glorps in Blossom's water each week. BTW, glorps is the official measuring unit that I use! ;) :D

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
ACV will not flavor the milk at all. What you may notice is an increase in milk volume. That has been very consistant with every dairy animal I have given it to. Likely because it helps balance body PH.

reinbeau

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
freemotion said:
If you read the original post, it is clear that cj had been fairly thorough and wanted input above and beyond what was already done. If it exists. If not, don't reply. When her own words were repeated back to her, she was polite about it. And it seems that there are not any goat vets available (I feel your pain! In some places they just DON'T exist!). It is obvious to me that cj was hoping for some further insite......not snippiness.

Be nice, ladies. Come on. Sheesh. :rolleyes:
I have to agree. CJ indicated everything that had been done (but did forget to omit the fact that they were going to try levamisole). Be kind and respectful to each other, it goes a long way to make forum communications go smoothly.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It's due to the balancing of PH that ACV works to correct so many illnesses.

Will it work for liver flukes? I do not know.

I know for cows there is a separate wormer just for liver flukes and you may need to look into seeing about one for goats. Some areas liver flukes are just at a high concentration and need more treatment than other areas.

IMO, you really won't know, if a treatment worked thoroughly, unless you can find a vet that will run tests for you. Blood and stool samples are pretty basic, maybe you can find a vet that will do that much for you. I can understand not wanting to deal with a bad vet. Been there, done that and forbid him to step foot on the place again.

cariboujaguar

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Well I know who is chomping at the bit to jump down your throat and I know who's truelly out to help now.

I'm deffinately culling her after this is resolved, she can't make it in a herd of 30 is routine care isn't enough I dont' have the time to be watching her so closely, smaller pet herd seems more logical for her.... besides she is obsessed with the LGD's dog food and they have to chase her out of it, she won't stop going after it, they won't eat outside of the pen! UGH! I wouldn't mind saying bye bye to this gal LOL

Thanks to those who had an open mind and weren't negative/jumpng to conclusions. The rest of you can kindly refrain from replying to my posts from now on, I meant no offense and I really don't like cat fights, I'm not that kind of woman :D

Griffin's Ark

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
All that said and I am way behind everyone else... You didn't tell us what breed she is. That is kind of important, cause what might work for a Nubian might not work for a Boer or even a Kiko or an Alpine. I would suggest Cydectin (quest) for worming. I really want to know what kind of goat is putting out a gallon and a half a day... I just want one thats all just one...

Chris

bheila

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I think caribou's on a roadtrip right now so you might not hear back from her for a while. I thought she was going down south to get more goats :weee

KareyABohr

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I was VERY interested in this topic, but to be quite honest, it is going a little over my head.
I have a nanny goat that just never quite seemed to keep up with my other nannys. I wormed two weeks ago with cydectin and she has come down with that fluid filled face too and scours. I treated the scours and now I would LOVE to know what products exactly you think I should use to treat her.
BTW she is the only goat out of 60 that has this problem.

KareyABohr

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I just went online and checked out pics of "bottle jaw" and my nanny does not have a hard lump. She actually has a smooshy fluid filled lower jaw and neck. Kind of like she has a double chin.

Any ideas?