Brahmas?

suzaboo

Just born
Reaction score
Thx for your input. Its a little disappointing that people sell chickens claiming they are a breed when they are not but not much to do now.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The problem with so many of the backyard poultry raisers are that they get some birds, and are told they are such and such, then they raise some chicks and then they become experts.
THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH BACKYARD MIXED FLOCKS. I am not saying that. But in your case, you thought you were buying a certain breed. And if they have a single comb they are not brahmas. If it has a crest it is not a brahma. Yes I have purebreds, and have shown many birds over the years. I also have had commercial layers, I ran 150 pastured layers for years and sold eggs from free range hens. The were sexlinks and there is no better layer for quantity for a commercial flock. And I have had some backyard "breeds" that are barely what they say they are. So I understand your frustration but the best way to get a purebred breed is to go to the poultry shows, see the birds, find the breeders that are showing them and then see about making a purchase. The "purebred" chickens you get from a big hatchery will be basically true to the breed but will not be of show quality. They do not adhere to the strict definition of what is called for . And in the interim, people get birds that are not exactly what they should be, they raise chicks and sell them for what they believe they are and the whole breed actually gets to be less than what it really is supposed to be. Not saying you have to buy show quality birds. Every breeder has chicks and young stock that does not make the "grade" for show birds and they are still purebreds. That is why breeds get diluted and some with obvious defects get sold as purebreds. We raise chicks and as they grow, sell the ones that are not show or breeder quality to help offset the cost of feed but then others get them and breed them and the quality of the breed gets diluted and sometimes birds with obvious defects for that breed are used.
Let the birds grow out, see what you get. Keep the hens for eggs, or if you don't like them, sell them for eating and start over.
If you are interested in purebreds find a poultry show near you and look at all the different breeds and colors there are. Get POULTRY PRESS, a monthly publication that is for fanciers that show and raise birds for show and find a breeder or a show near you.

suzaboo

Just born
Reaction score
thank you for your input. I do not have an issue that they are not purebreds or show quality they are just for eggs and meat, It would just be nice if when people sell the chicks or eggs they advise/knew if they were actually pure bred or not. I am pretty knew at this and its pretty easy to get confused lol

Latest posts