Breed Recommendations

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
OK therein lies the key: FENCING. Please before you get going on breed shopping, fence your place appropriately so that what ever you end up stays safe and predators stay out. Don't lay it all on the dogs.
LGDs should never be run solo.
Finally, it is not the breed as much as it is the breeder. Don't buy from anyone who can't promise and deliver support, good advice, and shows you they have the expertise and experience required. Somewhere on this page is a post I put up about an article I wrote for Goat Journal about finding a good LGD breeder. Read it. Or if the Admins jerked the article and/or link down to my blog, I guess I better put the blog link up under my signature or something so you can find it. Be honest with yourself about your capacity to own and handle LGD breeds and understand some are more intense than others.
There is a reason why Great Pyrenees are the most popular LGD breed in America. They are wonderful loving dogs with a lot of "oops" room what I mean by that, they are not highly complex or edgy or temperamental as some LGD breeds are. Understand as well some of the more newer exotic breeds being brought over here and introduced come from fighting, military and police backgrounds in their native countries and through breeding for that now have lost some of their guardian/livestock instincts. Shop carefully if you go that route.
And fence, fence, fence. Don't lay it all on the dogs.
20 acres is too much for one dog to patrol alone - run a pair at the minimum and think about cross fencing as well.
Not to sound like an echo but don't lay this all on the dogs. They are not going to fix all problems.

I searched and found your post on finding a good breeder.