breed selections

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
that came from the breeds or groups of breeds used to produce the steers that the kids show at fairs.as well as market shows.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
wynedot55 said:
that came from the breeds or groups of breeds used to produce the steers that the kids show at fairs.as well as market shows.
I wonder what kind of temperment they have?

Like I said in the other thread, we are plannning to some day have a reg herd.
Although I would love to go beefmaster, I think we are leaning towards Limo. I have been told by some, that Limos are just as bad as Angus? Most of my high percentage Limos have been pretty good, but I have met a few that would put any Angus to shame!

Do you think the Angus beef craze is based on the taste, or just good advertisment by the angus breeders?

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
my honest opion is angus hype is based on the money an promotion of CAB though the angus assoc.a breed is only as gentle as the people working with them.an if youll notice angus is doing everything they can to join up with every breed assoc out there.thus promoting angus cross cattle.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Knowing the buyers liked black, we went to the black Limo! We have been getting good prices, and I am happy with them!(other than they all look the same)
I really like the big behinds the limos have! I have been told they are breeding the Angus to have that, but I have yet to see it!
If this Angus hype continues, should I go Angus, instead of Black limo?
I agree the tameness can depend on the people who work with them, but I have had some that just never calmed down no matter how much I spoilt them!
What do they reg these days? Is there a breed Limo/angus?

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
only you can decide on wich breed to go with.its the breed that best fitt what your going tobe doing with them.if you want black cows you can go with any breed or cross thats black.an breed them to an angus bull.1st decide how meny cows you have room for.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Well, let me ask this!
If you could not have Beefmasters, and you wanted to have a reg herd, what breed would you keep and why?

At this point, I don't know how many I can run on this place. The pastures still need more work and I only want to keep as many as I can grow hay for! This year we grazed about 30, and "I think" we will be able to over winter the 44 we kept, without buying hay.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
your asking me a loaded q :lol: personally ive raised reg polled herefords for a few years.an i think herefords would fitt your needs just right.an you can either run reg horned or polled herefords.an handled right they are pretty gentle.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
That's just too good!
Dad always liked Herefords, I always liked Beefmasters or Brahama crosses! It is a subject him and I, don't even discuss anymore!
So, you can't have Herefords either!

If you raise reg animals, do you have to weigh them at birth?