Broken Leg Help

kenfromMaine

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi
I have an Alpine doe in milk, that just broke her leg about 4 to 5 inches above the hoof. It broke completely thru and poked out a little. I have the bones lined up as good as I could get them and have made a splint out of pieces of wood about 8" and taped it up in good shape.
what can I do now??She is calm so far but has had a few wild bucking episodes. I have her separated.Should I make the splint longer, like maybe go from her upper hip area to just below her foot? That way she would have no weight on the foot at all?
And what about milking her now?
Any and all thoughts or ideas appreciated.
Thanks
Ken from maine

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
kenfromMaine said:
Hi
I have an Alpine doe in milk, that just broke her leg about 4 to 5 inches above the hoof. It broke completely thru and poked out a little. I have the bones lined up as good as I could get them and have made a splint out of pieces of wood about 8" and taped it up in good shape.
what can I do now??She is calm so far but has had a few wild bucking episodes. I have her separated.Should I make the splint longer, like maybe go from her upper hip area to just below her foot? That way she would have no weight on the foot at all?
And what about milking her now?
Any and all thoughts or ideas appreciated.
Thanks
Ken from maine
I think that it's 20kidsonahill that has had great success using a length of pvc pipe split and duck taped together as a splint.

A splint is effective when it secures the full bone that was broke. There is generally not a need to continue to the next bone with the splint. If you do make the splint longer watch for chaffing of the upper leg at the body.

If you have a vet that will see you and are able I would have them have a look as well...but there is no reason that you can't wait to take the goat in tomorrow. (Since you've taken care to splint and separate the goat)

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I'd be giving some pretty heavy Pen G, to avoid infection as well...and putting something on to ward the flies off.

And she'd be seeing a vet...

As far as milking, as long as it doesn't upset her / cause her to further injure the leg.

julieq

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
A compound fracture in one of our goats, or any other animals, would mean we'd be calling the vet immediately. I can't even imagine the level of pain that would cause.

kenfromMaine

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi
Thanks for the replies.
An update. She is up and eating and drinking fine. I have cleaned the pen, checked the leg. I have it wrapped up so flies should not be to bad of an issue. I added a piece of wood that I shaped like a capital L
so it is under her hoof and puts any weight she puts on it on her evenly but not on the foot itself. I will give her a shot of Penicillin and take her in to the vets if needed, I just think trying to transport her would be a lot more stressful on her. But as of now she is adjusting good, The way I made the splint was, I took some thin strips of wood and put surgical tape on one side of them to hold them together kinda like a "roll top desk front" , it fit nice, then I taped all around it, then ace bandage over that and then the "L" stick to the side of it with more tape. She seems to feel as comfortable as poss. Same sweet girl.
Thanks again.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I'd be mighty tempted to give her some children's liquid ibuprofen or banamine for the pain. Not long-term, but at least a couple doses to help w/ inflammation and pain.

The Pen G will need to be given at least 5 days straight, 2x a day. I would probably give it for 10 days on an injury that bad.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hi: our goats seem to be the kings and queens of broken legs, First couple we called my father n' law out to help us set. He is a vet. Since then we have fixed several on our own.

You need to wrap plenty of soft stuff around the leg, to make sure if there is swelling the splint isn't on too tight and cuts off blood-flow.

YOu need to line it up, with help from one other person, wrap in papertoweling or cotton cloth, nice and padded, We use a cut section of Pvc pipe, cut the length of the pipe in half. We only use one half not both halves. We put it just below the hoof of the animal and just above the knee of the animal, on the back of the leg and then duct tape it in place. There knee needs to continue to bend, Don't put the duct tape on too tight near the top, but getting some on the hair of the leg, will help it not slip down.

We give Penn G twice a day, for several days, 1cc per 15 lbs of body weight.

Isolate the animal, in a safe area, no climbing allowed, plenty of good hay and grain.

Lots of rest and limited actvity for 3 or so weeks, then we let them have more space to get out and play.

check the bottom of the leg/hoof to make sure it is staying warm and not cold, especially a couple hours after splinting and the first couple days.

Here is my disclaimer: I am not against having a vet look at it, infact, if you have little to no livestock experience or experience in a health field, can not give a penn G shot, I highly suggest consulting with a vet.

kenfromMaine

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Just checked her before I go to bed, she really looks fine. I checked her foot and it feels like all the others. I will continue to give her Penn. and keep checking for temp. rise.
I will recheck her first thing in the morning and readjust anything if needed.
She stood for me while I milked her and no complaints. Ate her grain and treats. Flies and bugs are not a issue usually.
I will give an update again tomorrow.
This happened in a flat field that I had just sectioned off for them, she was running and kicking her heals and landed wrong. She didnt step in any holes or fall off a rock just landed wrong. Glad she wasnt on a mountain side or cliff. They are inside a secure barn every night. I was standing about 20 feet from her when it happened. So it was less then 20 minutes from time of the break to wrapped and splinted.
Thanks to all for the advice.

kenfromMaine

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Well I took off the splint I had made and put on one like 20kidsonhill used. Her leg looks good not swollen, I washed it with antiseptic type wash, her foot was warm as the others. Gave her a shot of Penn. G .
She layed right there and watched as I was working on her, just kept talking to her and telling her what I was doing, what a gentle goat she is. After I was done I told her that she could get up and she did. She has learned already how to hop around, her pen is clean and she is eating and drinking, peeing and pooping.
Thank you all for your advice and comments and Special thanks to 20kidsonhill.
I will keep updating as things progress, and if the need arises she will see a vet. But for now things look good.
I know these forums are not a substitute for vet. care but the knowledge that some people have and are so willing to share with total strangers is amazing. It is always a good feeling to know that there are still alot of good people out there.
Thanks
Ken from Maine