Bruce's Journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congratulations and I don't blame you for buying new. I had an old Massey that I bought used that wound up blowing an engine. I had it mechanic checked but that didn't keep the motor together. My 32 HP Kubota has been perfect for me since I needed something small enough to maneuver in some our our tight spaces but enough power to do what I need. I'm not cutting grass in high gear on my hills but it does everything I need it to do.

I'll have to dig out some pictures of the 1000 pound slabs of stone I pushed down the hill to a dry pond. Note I said pushed and not picked up. :)

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah I'm probably only going about 1/4 on the 70° wedge, I'll start higher and go farther next time, thanks for the tip. I guess I was afraid it might get weak and start to go on me doing the bottom of the wedge but seeing as how the darn things are still standing when I've gone most of the way through on the 3rd cut I guess I'm worrying unnecessarily.

The whole "not big enough" thing. Yep every time I read anything about a person asking for opinions on buying a given tractor on tractorbynet that came up. Thus I went for the 35 HP for the 4+ acres I need to mow, it has 25 HP at the PTO rather than 19 on the 26 HP version and can handle a 6' mower, the 26 HP only a 5'. I figure the extra 1' per pass adds up. The backhoe will dig to 94", the 26 HP is 86", not much difference but maybe that little bit extra will come in handy. The bigger difference is the 2,900 pound digging force vs 2,440. Nearly 500 extra pounds though both are WAY WAY WAY more than I can do with a shovel ;) Plus the one on the 26 HP only swings 145° instead of 180°.

I'm going out now to take pictures of the nearly dry pond before I start messing with it. I ALWAYS forget the "before" pictures. I think I have 2 areas that have a shallow enough slope from the surrounding "non pond" areas that I can drive in but I need to get the string trimmer out there and make sure that is the case. Really hate to get it stuck right off! In the meantime, here is a picture of what the frogs in the pond fear most, thinking that a solar panel is the prime sitting spot. The pond is off to the right. Probably a good view from up there. Taken from the back deck of the house about 200' away.

DSCN1103.JPG DSCN1105.JPG

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
OK here we have some before pictures.
Pond from the SE corner. One planned entry is from the upper left in the first picture. Second picture is moving north, look, cattails!
DSCN1107.JPG DSCN1108.JPG DSCN1111.JPG

Which would be here
DSCN1110.JPG

The other potential entrance is from the NE side pond, here
DSCN1112.JPG

This is from down at the pond from the potential NE entrance
DSCN1113.JPG

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
After string trimming. Turns out it was a good plan, found some rocks. Here, at my place!! Can you imagine??
NE entrance, second picture is south from that path, third is up at the cattails where there is a big enough piece of ledge I don't think I should try to cross it.
DSCN1114.JPG DSCN1115.JPG DSCN1116.JPG

Looking right (north) from the path, the tracks are from frogs and herons.
DSCN1117.JPG

From the edge of the mud flat in the previous picture. Can't see them here but lots of very small dead fish in what is left of the very shallow water. I think I need to try and get here and dig as deep as I can as far out as I can so what little water toward the north that is too shallow for fish can drain to a new "deep spot". I will be using @CntryBoy777's plywood suggestion to give the outriggers on the backhoe something to push down on. I stuck a stick in at the edge, the muck was about a foot deep. I expect the backhoe can dig deeper.
DSCN1118.JPG

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
And the south entrance
DSCN1119.JPG

Look rocks! Guess I'll be using the backhoe right off
DSCN1120.JPG

On the way down the path. I think I'll need to widen it with the bucket because it gets a bit high on the left side. MAYBE not too steep but better safe than sorry!

DSCN1121.JPG
DSCN1122.JPG

And at the "deep" end. Really squishy at the edge, not sure how much I can reach from there.
DSCN1123.JPG

And, for your "enjoyment", the heron frogging at the north end.
DSCN1106.JPG

Last edited:

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
My 32 HP Kubota has been perfect for me since I needed something small enough to maneuver in some our our tight spaces but enough power to do what I need. I'm not cutting grass in high gear on my hills but it does everything I need it to do.
HP sells tractors but torque does the work and completes jobs.
Always remember:
Torque is the measure in foot-pounds (ft.-lbs.) of the amount of work an engine can perform. Horsepower is the measure of how quickly that work can be done

It's the transmission gearing and final drive gearing that enables a tractor to be a tractor..

torque = hp × 5,252 ÷ rpm

The venerable old 1950 Ford 8n for instance, had only 25hp at the drawbar but 2800ft lbs of torque.

You can probably find all the specs of yours at
http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/tractor-brands/mahindra/mahindra-tractors.html

Last edited:

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
With that calculation, and using the engine HP of 34.5 and RPM of 2376 (spec sheet for PTO 540 RPM) I get a torque value of 76.26.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
GB... how 2800 ft pounds from a 25 hp engine? Working backwards, that would be at an rpm of ~46.89... or idle? :idunno

Latest posts