Bruce's Journal

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Looks like you're making some real progress there! I hope you get some serious fall rain and winter snow for melt to fill it this coming spring. Looks like if the drought will hold for you for just a bit more, you'll have a pretty \deep pond once again when it fills. Might even be able to put some real fish in there like cats or small mouth bass or both.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am happy you are finding out how great a loaded tractor can be. :) Plus, "new" got the needed repairs quickly with no more expense -- this could have been used and your $$. I truly weighed the cost of new and used but because this equipment is often not well managed, the possible cost to me just made it a no-brainer. Besides, most do not come with backhoe as used. That was the case with one exceptional unit I checked into -- none to fit it.

Well keep those projects moving along! Looks great.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
The pond seems to be lots of clay and silt. I'd have to go get a ton of sand. OK, I'd have to have it delivered, I can't carry a ton of sand in my Prius ;)

Progress after yesterday
DSCN1160.JPG DSCN1161.JPG

The left side started to calve and brought some water down from the "upper pond". With some tadpoles. DW and DD1 were screaming for me to stop. Said there were tadpoles going down. So I pushed some "stuff" to stem the flow. Put me in the doghouse since apparently I was driving over the tadpoles. DW made a small dam on the left side of the now "lower pond" and we rescued some tadpoles that were flopping on the mud. We added some water to make it a bit deeper. Didn't see any fish flowing, but then I've not seen any fish dead or alive since I made the "upper pond". Notice in the pictures above how far the calved area on the left is from the "upper pond"

After today. I'm working on making a channel from the lower pond to the upper so it will drain down and I can work on the north end. Note how SMALL the distance is from the "upper pond", no calving :thTakes a LONG time one 16" bucket at a time.
DSCN1162.JPG DSCN1163.JPG

The tractor after a day playing in the muck
DSCN1164.JPG

And an hour later after washing the crud off. Not worried about splatters but I figure all the moving parts should not be locked in dried up clay.
DSCN1165.JPG

When the guy dropped the tractor off I asked about 1st service interval. He said 50 hours, it will take you a long time to get there. :lol: There are now 40 hours on the engine.

Last edited:

Latest posts