Bruce's Journal

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I noticed that ya had a pretty steady "breeze" up there.....sure hope therapy goes Well!!....:fl
It was breezy when we landed too, the last 10 minutes had us rockin' and rollin'. Clouds coming in now going to get maybe 1/4" of rain and maybe a bit of snow. Supposed to be 53° tomorrow.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had a small amount of snow Tue night into Wed morning. I figured out that one of my hens, likely Lana the Golden Campine, went walkabout. I saw prints by the barn door and in the area behind the barn, looked like they started from nowhere near the fence that extends west from the SW corner of the little barn and went back north along the back of the barn. Later I saw some prints by the south side of the little barn, outside the fenced area in the backyard. I back tracked those around the front of the little barn and along the front of the big barn to the north end where they started. Near as I can tell, she came out the alpacas' always open door on the north end of the barn alley, FLEW the 35' to the piece of fence at the NE corner of the big barn, then walked around along the fronts of the barns, along the south side of the little barn then went through the cattle panel into the fenced area behind the barns. I really need to get some chicken wire over those panels since all the chickens can go through the 8x8 openings. Won't stop Lana though, she can squeeze between the verticals in the gate. And if I bar that, she can easily fly up the 5' necessary to go over the top.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Especially foxes this time of year. Both times I lost a hen to a fox it was near the end of April. That was before there was any decent fencing. My guess is they have their kits (do foxes kindle too??) before their natural food supply is up and running. Fence doesn't help if the girls let themselves out though.