Bruce's Journal

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
All recovered from that.

Today's "excitement" was cutting up the top half of a tree that snapped over, NEARLY all the way up by the north end of the NE field. There were some branches reaching down into the road, I used the loppers 3 days ago to get them out of the way. Yesterday I noticed the broken part was down. Either the town (the tree is in the road right of way) or someone else pulled it down given it wasn't where it would have fallen naturally.

Would have been a good time to have a grapple but easy enough to get the forks under the bigger parts and hand stacking the small branches on the front of the forks for the ride back to the blocking/splitting area in front of the barn. Got the reasonable size parts cut to 16". I would drop the rest of the tree, pretty rotted down low but there is another tree growing right up next to it on the north side, doesn't veer off until about 7' up. Thus, dropping it south, parallel with the road isn't likely. The other options are:
Dropping it east into the road.
Dropping it west into the power line.
And, given it isn't actually on my property, I probably shouldn't drop it at all without town approval.

Supposed to rain overnight but no rain again tomorrow so I think I'll start blocking the trees I dropped last fall and brought up near the wood blocking/splitting area. They need to start drying out for next winter!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
The wood from that tree
DSCN1469.JPG

and the smaller branches. I picked those up with the forks and drove them over to the burn pit
DSCN1470.JPG

The pile I cut last fall
DSCN1471.JPG

I was going to finish up this morning but DD2 came home from an overnight with her mini spare on so with the tractor warmed up, I picked up a pallet and fetched her summer tires and the compressor from the workshop and swapped her tires for the season.

Here are the remaining logs
DSCN1472.JPG

And the pile of wood blocked so far. I'm starting to think I need a saw more powerful than my little Stihl MS 180 "homeowner" saw.
DSCN1473.JPG DSCN1474.JPG

Noticed the mount for the winch on the garden tractor was racked, couldn't lift the blower all the way up when I drove the GT out of the barn to turn it around so I could store the blower. Took the chains, blower and rear weight off the garden tractor. Guess I'll need to deal with the winch before next winter.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
For future reference, here is the pond when full. There is some water trickling down into it from the SW corner where I drove down to dig it out. There is a low spot in the field not far to the south, always wet after winter so I guess there is a seasonal spring there.
From the east side, looking south then north:
DSCN1466.JPG DSCN1465.JPG
From the north east corner
DSCN1467.JPG

From the south
DSCN1468.JPG

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Neck is about 90%.
Summer projects .... well
  • I need to cut a lot more wood, sooner than later. Def need a new saw, my MS 180 is classed for "Occasional use, Fallen limbs, pruning, lighter cutting. And I've been using it like a forestry saw. Guess I've been beating the heck out of it. It was fine when I got it, I wasn't cutting down trees for firewood.
  • Need to make 7 more wood racks
  • DW would like some of the interior trim on the house done (meaning bought/made and installed)
  • Sure would like to build a roofed wood drying/storage area
  • Need to get the garden going and this year have time to weed and pick. I was hard on the pond last year and it was let go. No one else seems to think they should do much in the garden.
  • Would like to clean up the stuff I pulled out of the pond and put it somewhere useful. Have lots of low spots or places where the ledge is high. But of course there is a lot of clay in the stuff I pulled out, might want to figure out how to mix other stuff into it. Know anywhere I could get some sand? ;)
  • Need to clean out the chicken coop and put in new shavings.
  • Need to do alpaca feet and shear
  • Need to figure out how to use my new flail mower and mow the fields at the appropriate time.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Neck is about 90%.
Summer projects .... well
  • I need to cut a lot more wood, sooner than later. Def need a new saw, my MS 180 is classed for "Occasional use, Fallen limbs, pruning, lighter cutting. And I've been using it like a forestry saw. Guess I've been beating the heck out of it. It was fine when I got it, I wasn't cutting down trees for firewood.
  • Need to make 7 more wood racks
  • DW would like some of the interior trim on the house done (meaning bought/made and installed)
  • Sure would like to build a roofed wood drying/storage area
  • Need to get the garden going and this year have time to weed and pick. I was hard on the pond last year and it was let go. No one else seems to think they should do much in the garden.
  • Would like to clean up the stuff I pulled out of the pond and put it somewhere useful. Have lots of low spots or places where the ledge is high. But of course there is a lot of clay in the stuff I pulled out, might want to figure out how to mix other stuff into it. Know anywhere I could get some sand? ;)
  • Need to clean out the chicken coop and put in new shavings.
  • Need to do alpaca feet and shear
  • Need to figure out how to use my new flail mower and mow the fields at the appropriate time.
Ain't country livin great :) :lol: :hugs

Latest posts