Bruce's Journal

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I do have fake eggs in the nests, one I made from a piece of cherry wood, the others are all plastic "Easter Eggs". The girls that have changed their laying location have been laying in the regular nests with these for 2 and 5 years respectively. Maybe they are upset by the 8 new pullets, though only one has (maybe) laid an egg so far.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
It could very well be the change in the flock dynasty. Even if they are all getting along, you have changed the pecking order with the introduction of new birds. Chickens don't like change like that. Change their environment, like with moving a chicken tractor around, is fine. You have changed their "home place". Might get better once they all settle in.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mowed the lawn today, after spending 2 hours trying to get Rhea (one of the EE pullets) back to the chicken area. I'd gone to put the multimeter in the workshop and there was the sound of something bolting in the weeds at the corner of the barn where the workshop door is. I thought ***, another woodchuck but saw Rhea instead. Not sure how she got there but she is the bird that I have to take off the people door into the coop and put her on a roost each night. She might have gone out the alpacas' end of the barn, hopped up onto a piece of plywood I have for a windbreak by the alpacas' door and flown over the fence. The pullets aren't trained to come when called nor to scratch in a can since they have never been out front. Janet put the kibosh on that in the spring because the hens were scratching in her flowers and ripping them out.

My first attempt was to get her to come to scratch. As noted, not much hope there. She would eat what I tossed toward her but wasn't leaving cover. Since she's never been out front I doubt she could ever find her way across the front of the barn to the gate.

My second attempt was to bring Cassie (2 Y/O EE) out since I know she will come to food hoping Rhea would come out of the weeds to eat with her. That didn't work and Cassie headed back to the gate, she's in full blown moult and likely doesn't feel too comfortable being out and exposed.

Third attempt worked. I let out 8 of the older girls that I know will come to scratch and called them over to the corner of the barn where Rhea was hanging out in the weeds. I tossed scratch here and there and Rhea came to join the feast. I slowly led them back toward the other end of the barn and managed to get them all in back". Stupid chicken!

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like ya had an "event filled" day there Bruce....sure reminds me of a few I "participated" in myself.....:lol:.....and when I would have the same exact words about a chicken, my mom would always snap back with.....but that Stupid chicken made ya think, now didn't it?.......:gig......it sure wasn't funny at the time, but now ya think of the "fun" ya had/have....:)

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mr. @Bruce, sir,

I am glad you figured out how to get the chicken back in the coop!

You mentioned having to mow. When do you normally stop needing to mow? Also, have you been getting the normal amount of rain, or have you been in a drought?

Senile Texas Aggie

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
No drought this year. I'd guess it is about normal for non drought years (2012 & 2018).
Can't say as I really know when mowing normally stops (other than drought). I have now mowed twice more than I thought I would. Still once a week though in the spring that is about 2 days later than I should based on growth.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a fish net that I use to capture wayward chickens. I used to have chickens that I could herd back to the coop, but now I have chickens that scatter like a shotgun blast. I have 5 that abandoned their coop and now sleep on the sheep's round bale. We are going to have to come to some kind of agreement, I would rather them have shelter for the winter.