Bruce's Journal

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well sad news to report. Celene, the Splash Ameraucana, died Monday last week, 9 months old, never saw an egg from her. No idea why she died.

View attachment 90173

Today I lost the last of my original flock. Persephone was an EE, would have been 10 in June and was still laying last year so she had a good long productive life.
View attachment 90172
Wow! Not a good week.

:hugs

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Awww..... that's too bad. It's hard to take a loss, no matter what the animal or the age. At almost 10, you aren't really surprised, but it sure hurts your heart. At 9 months old, you wonder why and was there something you missed. Sorry about your girls Bruce.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks Bay. Yeah Celene was a surprise, a very expensive surprise. Paid $25 for her and $25 for Nyx so I could get REAL blue eggs. Got my money back on Nyx given the NOT SOP 5 toes on a presumably true Ameraucana. I have recently found some fairly blue eggs recently though they seem a bit large for a pullet's first. Maybe Hera (nearly 3 Y/O EE) used up her brown dye? Her eggs last year were more blue than green.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep though I wouldn't expect any less from her (we'll not mention DD2 here ;) ). Scholastically she's always thought that anything less than an A was unacceptable. Pushes herself way hard. I hope she can wind down a bit now, all that self pressure can't make the migraine better.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
They will be here tomorrow late afternoon. Oh joy, I have to guess what to make for dinner that 5 people will eat, 1 picky, another picky, gluten free, nightshade intolerant and a vegetarian (won't eat anything animal that doesn't come from a live animal).

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Every animal you eat is live to start with.....????
I get being intolerant to certain kinds of food that cause a reaction, problem, or illness...
Guess I will never ask them to dinner...

You eat what is on the table unless it will truly make you sick... picky eaters don't last here... that is why GF and daughter have never been asked here to eat... I will not make something separate for the daughter because she thinks she is entitled to special treatment and there have been no attempts made since she was a baby to HAVE to TRY things... I have always made a variety of things if someone is coming if I am not sure of their preferences... but this kid is totally ridiculous... pizza, only kraft mac & cheese in the box, won't eat real homemade kind... bread ... strawberries...candy.... does not eat any vegs and is getting a fat gut now from all the carbs and starches.... plus the total inadequate healthiness of the diet...And you wonder why I am glad that they can't have kids....:barnie