Bruce's Journal

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Every animal you eat is live to start with.....????
I get being intolerant to certain kinds of food that cause a reaction, problem, or illness...
Guess I will never ask them to dinner...

You eat what is on the table unless it will truly make you sick... picky eaters don't last here... that is why GF and daughter have never been asked here to eat... I will not make something separate for the daughter because she thinks she is entitled to special treatment and there have been no attempts made since she was a baby to HAVE to TRY things... I have always made a variety of things if someone is coming if I am not sure of their preferences... but this kid is totally ridiculous... pizza, only kraft mac & cheese in the box, won't eat real homemade kind... bread ... strawberries...candy.... does not eat any vegs and is getting a fat gut now from all the carbs and starches.... plus the total inadequate healthiness of the diet...And you wonder why I am glad that they can't have kids....:barnie
Yeah, that would drive me nuts.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is what happens when your chicken decides the nest boxes are no good anymore
76C269AA-799E-4252-84EB-DB893567E492.jpeg

4 of them are not Aurora’s

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
My kids are good eaters. I was a picky eater and cannot count the numbers of hours i was made to stay at the table "until you finish your dinner". Never did finish so also never did that to my kids.

On the other hand, any of my children who did not like something (they had to taste a small bite first) was not served it again. With 6 of us at the table at least one or two others liked whatever it was. Cries of "Can I have his/hers?" usually had the "finicky" one deciding that they might like it after all. LOL

Luckily no food allergies.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
The girls seem to have gone back to the regular nests though I keep checking the hay bale nest just in case.

Finally got the stupid pool cleaned up and ready for whenever DW might want to use it. Probably won't be for a month but gotta get it done early before the algae gets so bad you could walk on it. Took a good 8 hours over several days.

Built another tree swallow house today. I've seen at least 6 flying around but have only 2 boxes. I've seen them visiting the one house we can see from our house. The other is at the NW corner of the fence so hidden from view from the house by the little barn. The new one will go behind the little barn so all three will be at least 100' from another box.

The barn swallows are back as of yesterday so I expect to see building/rehabbing their nest in the barn alley. Neither variety will be laying eggs until mid June or later.

Heard the alpacas alerting while I was in the barn working on the bird house, went out to see what had them concerned. Turned out to be a tom and maybe 6 hens in the field. I thought they had finally gotten used to the turkeys and were ignoring them but maybe the fantail the tom was showing off to the ladies made them nervous.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
82 today and 86 tomorrow (though it is early for that). Way back when I moved here in '79 it would hit 90 maybe once or twice a year, lately it has been much more often. Need a solar cover to make the pool usable by late May unless one is fairly sturdy.

And by "usable" I mean something warm enough DW can walk around in. Unless you are a young kid a 24' above ground pool is nothing more than an adult wading pool by my estimation.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had a huge Doughboy pool (18 x 36) for 20 years. Our kids and their friends swam constantly until they hit Jr. Hi when they suddenly realized they could stand up only waist deep! LOL Learning to swim in it when small made them completely water safe though, and when they hit Jr. Hi they went to the public pool ad were on summer sim team, etc.

When DH had to take off weight for his first knee operation he would walk around the pool for an hour clockwise and then counter clockwise. Walking in the pool was easier on his knee and he lost weight. It may be only 24' but you can still swim laps and cool off in the heat.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know they are alot of work... but the sessions in the pool at PT were really helpful.. I got alot more flex and bending of the knees and I wish I had closeby use of a pool so I could do more exercising and help to take off weight and do more for exercising of the knees... One neighbor has a pool and I am thinking of asking if there was a way I could pay them something for pool use for the therapy/exercise part of it...No gravity on the joints but alot of resistance in the water.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
It may be only 24' but you can still swim laps and cool off in the heat.
I'm 6'2", a "lap" of the pool, straight across is like 4 strokes then turn and go back. And that assumes you don't push off the wall, in that case, 2 strokes. Can't get any sort of rhythm that way. No thanks!

And, even without air conditioning in the house, if it is 90 outside, the pool is 80+, the house is cooler.