Bruce's Journal

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it probably also hit or will hit @dejavoodoo114 and @Mini Horses and of course @farmerjan and then that group over in the Carolinas as well. I know there are a lot of other folks over that way too. Hope everyone is enjoying the change in temps as much as I am. Maybe you folks way up north, not so much... :idunno

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure it probably also hit or will hit @dejavoodoo114 and @Mini Horses and of course @farmerjan and then that group over in the Carolinas as well. I know there are a lot of other folks over that way too. Hope everyone is enjoying the change in temps as much as I am. Maybe you folks way up north, not so much... :idunno

Right at this moment I am sitting on my screened in porch hoping DH's cat stays on my legs because it is cold and the wind is DEFINITELY picking up! I am looking forward to the lower temps!

Right you are. I'm planning to start the woodstove back up in the morning. It will be going at least a few days though MAYBE it can be left off during the day later in the week.

We have been eyeing the wood pile, trying to be good and thinking ahead... Now the cold is coming and the wood pile hasn't changed! At least we have quite a few trees DH downed last year that just need to be hauled to the house with the tractor, cut into rounds and run through the wood splitter. If only the cat actually liked me I would be so much warmer right now!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
We're having the same up & down weather here. Warm, cool, warm, cool -- you start in jeans and change to shorts. This week we've have gloomy & drizzle all week long. Same tomorrow, then Tues we should see the sun again. So glad. Some 40-45 night temps coming but, that's fine as we go to 70 days. Ok with it. It's good sleep & work weather. Saving on A/C & no heat yet.:)

I could be fine if it would stay these temps for another 6 months. Ain't gonna happen!

Next best thing would be to just see snow from pictures of those up North and not MY backporch. :rolleyes:

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's in the high 70's here. Might get rain on Thursday and then back to the high 70's again. Won't see frost for another month...I like CA weather...A LOT. I still have a garden growing, squash, cukes, green beans, corn (not sure the corn will make it, but it is in tassle), peppers, and tomatoes. Finally getting tomatoes, it was too hot all summer for anything but Cherry ones to set. It could stay like this all winter and I'd be good...the fruit trees not so much, but I would be ok.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
much cooler here this morning too, and the front came thru dry, which I'm glad of..a waning crescent moon and stars fill the perfectly clear sky right now. Supposed to be in the upper 40s tonight and tomorrow night.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Seems we are all experiencing the same weather for a change. We got a good bit of rain out of the front and the same drop in temps which makes it pleasantly cool this morning.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Getting cool here after a BEAUTIFUL Sunday. Supposed to drop to the upper 30's the next two nights with day temps in the 60-70's. More like fall but I didn't mind the 60-80's we were having. It did get very humid there a few days, and after a month of no rain and no humidity, it was hard to readjust. We got about 1.6 " total rain last week from Nate, it greened things up, got the spring running so I am not hauling as much water; plus we moved 7 heifers out to another place to take some pressure off the spring.
Sad thing is, the dry month, totally did away with any real fall pasture regrowth; even if we get some real decent moisture now, it is getting too late in the year for any pastures to come back much.
We have plenty of hay, and will cut back some numbers due to selling some old cows and any that are open because we lost 2 pastures this year. May be getting an old one back after 5 years or so, but not going to count chickens til the eggs are hatched. We do have several places that have not had cattle on for several months that we "stockpile" the grass for fall/winter grazing.... but won't have the flexibility to move things around without these 2 places.

Going to get the fuel oil tank filled, and start getting things ready for winter but we will get more nice weather after this front goes through. Still will make some more small square bales of hay on a couple of places. I have been running the deutz 1006 with the 10 ft bushhog getting some of the pastures cleaned up too.
Moved some cows home from one pasture & sold some 450 lb steer calves, preg checked and had 13 of the 14 preg so that was good. Got more to move and check yet but that'll get done as the fall progresses.
Bred some AI and will get them out with the bull for cleanup in case any didn't settle. Then the fall calving cows that are calving now, and still due, will be going to these stockpiled pastures with the bulls in a couple weeks to get rebred for next fall, and to graze into the winter all according to how much snow we get. Last year we grazed all winter due to no snow cover and fed less hay than normal.

Latest posts