Bruce's Journal

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
7 years is a long life for a chicken and she had a good life.
She did and there are still 3 more from the original flock - Zorra, Black Australorp; Persephone, Easter Egger and Anais, Faverolles. Persephone still lays regularly spring and summer, Zorra and Anais only when they decide it is time to go broody AGAIN.

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mr. @Bruce, sir,

Have you seen the latest Tractor Mike video? It is titled "Why Not to Buy a Tractor Backhoe (the 4 Reasons I Haven't)". In the video he asked that those who own backhoes to provide comments as to whether they have been happy with their purchase or thought it a waste of money. Have you commented? If not, I think it would help those who may be thinking of getting a backhoe for/with their tractor:

Senile Texas Aggie

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I watched the video. The biggest reason was the cost versus the amount of use. Another was the pain in the A$$ to get it on and off. Another was that for the few uses that you might have, rentals are available. The guy that did the video said he sold one unit in 11 years because he couldn't justify the use versus cost.

I went through all of that when I bought my tractor and elected not to get one since I have contacts that I can get fairly cheap for the few times I would need one.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Since my internet sucks and videos take forever to play, can I take the shortcut and ask, what are the 4 reasons not to have a backhoe on a tractor? I love tractor gadgets and would adore one!
PITB to put on and off with the kind needed to do heavy work has a sub frame; a 3 pt hitch type can put alot of stress on the tractor frame plus you will want to use it, then switch to a bush hog then have to switch back....; a piece of equipment that you don't want to leave out when you are not using it, so it gets put inside and takes alot of space, but that would protect it from weathering; do you have enough jobs to use it and would it be big enough to do a bigger job, like burying a big animal like an elderly horse; and he has good alternatives, can rent one that would be more sensible than make payments for years, or can call a neighbor to do it and they can get the job done quicker, and maybe can trade off with a neighbor that has a mini excavator but not a tractor.