Bruce's Journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
You have to date the no trespassing signs and put up new ones every year? Do these trespassers pay the property taxes? We can just paint a tree or post with a ring of purple paint, it means posted. Date it? Nope. Put up a new ring of paint every year? Only if it fades. Gheesh. If I saw someone walking around on my property, he/she would be confronted and told to leave.

All we need here are Posted signs and I'll take care of anyone poaching on our place.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I might put a sign out saying you have the stand since those are kinda expensive but at the same time that note might also come with confrontation which you may not feel like dealing with either.

I agree, I sure hope they weren't using rifles. I have a neighbor who always shooting guns, which is fine, except I don't know which way she shoots and I'm down hill of her. I understand the fear.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wait a minute. You mean to tell me that people can legally hunt on your property and don't even have to ask or notify you? Oh HE!! NO! That would get someone shot here.
Yep, unless it is posted. It is in the state constitution.

But GOOD hunters will always go up to the house and ask permission before hunting on someone else's property. And frankly I'd say it would be pretty dangerous to rifle hunt up in my woods. If you miss aiming south that round will travel through the neighborhood up the road unless it hits a tree. East could put it in my house or the neighbor across the road. West could possibly put it into a car on the interstate if you happen to be up on the top of the hill before it slopes back down. Granted it is most likely that an errant round would hit a tree but still.

You have to date the no trespassing signs and put up new ones every year? Do these trespassers pay the property taxes? We can just paint a tree or post with a ring of purple paint, it means posted. Date it? Nope. Put up a new ring of paint every year? Only if it fades. Gheesh. If I saw someone walking around on my property, he/she would be confronted and told to leave.
Yep we do and no they don't pay my property taxes. And we did tell the guy a couple years ago to leave, I expect he was just out for a summer walk in the woods.

Vermont posting law
Note that there is nothing in there about putting hunting structures on someone else's land without permission.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nope, no "color paint means no trespassing" in Vermont. That sure would be cheaper than a bunch of signs minimally 200' apart but realistically 100' probably isn't close enough to ensure they are seen. It isn't like someone would be coming through an open field to a row of signs along the edge of the woods.

Last edited:

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nope. Had a tiny bit on Thursday, gone now.

We are selling our old house which we have been renting out. Monday was "move everything that is going in the dumpster to near where the dumpster will be put" including stuff I brought from up here on my various trips down to the house.

Tuesday was dumpster day. Apparently it was about 1,600 pounds of "stuff".

Wed was metal recycling day. The people buying the house helped me put in the old cast iron tub (no, not a nice clawfoot) that has been sitting in the backyard for the last 29 years, a dead water heater, dryer and a 7 cu ft freezer (all were in the basement) in the truck. Then I put in the rest of the scrap metal and old usable lumber in the truck and drove it up here. Tractored the freezer onto the back deck (moving it into the house today) and removed the other usable stuff. Then DD2 helped (without complaining! :th ) me load up the metal from here. Some was put in with the tractor, took 2 hours. Drove it to the recyclers:
1.16 tons scrap metal
93 pounds insulated copper wire
65 pounds #2 "dirty" copper
123 pounds #1 copper
52 pounds aluminum.

2653 pounds of metal. And I moved most of it twice. Good thing I didn't know how much weight that and the dumpster was going to be or I wouldn't have started at all! Don't bother with aluminum, more work than value - $0.08/pound. The only real value to the aluminum fins I pulled of the old baseboard hot water pipe was that its removal increased the value of the copper pipe from #2 to #1 - $0.20/pound more money. All the aluminum cat food cans I carefully sorted out of the other metal cans testing each with a magnet? Not worth the time and effort!!

Thursday - I didn't do a dang thing (other than make dinner)

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's a lot of heavy lifting and moving. Cheaper than a gym membership I guess. Sorry you didn't get much $ to show for your recycling efforts. At least you got a lot cleaned up and done and that must feel good. I took a load of scrap metal to the recycler last year, a tent garage that had collapsed and a dead washer plus other odds and ends, and didn't even get enough to treat myself to a coffee at the Dutch Bros drive thru next door. An Americano there costs 2.50, if that gives you any idea :rolleyes:.

Latest posts