Bruce's Journal

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
It helps to be reminded, with all of the cruelty and hatred on display around the world, that there are still some people who can show kindness to others in need.
Yep. The older of the 2 guys even made mention of believing good deeds are returned in the future. He didn't use the phrase "pay it forward" but that is the philosophy.

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mr. @Bruce,

I thought of you when I watched the YouTube video below:

I don't know if the winch is the same as the one that Mike Morgan has or a different one. If you get one like that you can get out those logs that are deep in the woods without having to tear up your woods with the tractor. And if you get one, then we here on BYH will call you Lumberjack Bruce and sing you this song:

Senile Texas Aggie

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Same brand at least. You can sing the song if you send me $4,500 to buy a skidding winch ;) But I'm not putting on women's clothes and hanging around in bars!!!!!

Had some visitors the other day. These are around the house and barn all the time.
DSCN2284.JPG

These were just passing through though DW saw them the next morning as well. 23 birds all together.
DSCN2280.JPG

DSCN2279.JPG

DSCN2282.JPG

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Old vanity, was here as part of a larger set when we bought the house. Not very useful with big drawers where everything got all jumbled together, DW got sick of it. I really like the 1940's American Standard sink but it was originally meant to be wall mounted with legs in the front. I couldn't find that hardware anywhere.

Old vanity 1.JPG Old vanity 3.JPG Old vanity 2.JPG

New vanity, 9 shallow drawers - much more useful. Now things that are used daily can be kept in the top drawer instead of on top of the vanity.

Vanity complete.JPG

They said to silicone the backsplash to the wall. I stuck it down to the top instead. Given how heavy it is, even that wasn't necessary but I didn't want to get water and "crud" under it.
Vanity Backsplash 2.JPG

Of course having a bottom drawer created an issue. While the electricians put the wall lights at the center for a 48" cabinet, including a 1/2" overhang for the 49" top (which I did NOT realize), the plumbers didn't. Thus the wonky slot in the shelf. I wasn't surprised to find that the 1/8" back was MDF in an "all wood cabinet" but I was REALLY not happy to find out that the shelf is also MDF. I can't think of any reason I would want MDF in an area that might get wet. Really stupid. I put 3 coats of enamel paint on it.

Vanity Shelf slot 1.JPG Vanity Shelf slot 2.JPG Vanity Shelf slot 3.JPG

And the drawer modification. I put 3 coats of enamel on the drawer bottom (which is plywood) as well and the pipe "box". I stuck the box down with silicone and 18 gauge brads (used the Xmas present :D) I also coated the bottom and inside of the box with silicone since that is where any water leak from the drain will end up. Hopefully that won't happen but then how often DOES it happen even when it shouldn't? Better safe than sorry.

Vanity Bottom drawer pipe slot.JPGVanity Bottom drawer finished.JPG

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Except getting the cat fur out of the sink. It was an easy swipe up and out with the old sink. This one is undermount so anything you swipe up gets stuck on the underside of the countertop overhang.

Of course this wouldn't be a problem if DD1's cat didn't require getting brushed on THAT countertop!

Latest posts