Buckling acting strange after banding

Pipit

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We also give them Purina Goat Chow. And, of, course, animal crackers for a treat. Nick also likes apples, but Molly wants nothing to do with them.

Yes, I was wondering about antibiotics. I wondered why the vet didn't prescribe one as well. Unless, like in humans, over prescribing antibiotics can lead to problems later on.

Nick is feeling MUCH better this morning. He's even started jumping again. I am SO RELIEVED! I've missed his impish behaviors.

The vet said his scrotum was numb, so I'm hoping he's not in too much distress.

Thank you all for your advice and for caring as you do. I love these little guys so much and I want them to stay happy and healthy.:clap

Griffin's Ark

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
One thing that I did not see mentioned is using Tetanus anti-toxin in conjunction with banding and Blu-Lotion spray. It is still not to late. Even if the vet put him on antibiotics he should have asked you about Tetanus.
We have several goats banded right now and I don't check the band daily either. It is important in warm weather to check for fly strike. Every few days or so I look, and if the Blu-Lotion spray is gone I reapply it.

Two things I NEVER do, Tag an ear without Tetanus anti-toxin or band without Tetanus anti-toxin.

Chris

Pipit

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yes, he's had his CD/T shots and been wormed. He's back to his old self today, running, jumping and getting into mischief. What a little scamp!

username taken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
GREAT to hear he is doing so well!

I've never given tetanus antitoxin with banding, never had a problem

Yes, overuse of antibiotics in animals can cause problems just like in humans. However, I dont feel that is any reason to hesitate if an animal is acting unwell and has an elevated temp. The problem comes when people give the antibiotic without an elevated temp, or for things like snotty noses, when the animal is otherwise acting normal and feeling happy.

Now Pipit, can we see a photo of Nick? :D

Pipit

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
check out my web site, n4dbi.com. There are pics and movies as well as a live goat cam. It's raining at present, so they're in their little house. But we have night vision so you can even see when they come out for a snack at night. They usually come out between 10 and 10:30 pm Eastern time.

The n4dbi is my ham call sign. Hubby and I are amateur radio operators. In addition to critters, we have LOTS of antennas and understanding neighbors!:D

Pipit

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yeah, my DH put it in because I've always wanted a pet penguin. He is the web master for my site, his (w4sul.com), our autistic son's(astrobunny.com), and our radio club's, (kf4ixu.org.) Just some fun with photo shop.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Griffin's Ark said:
Two things I NEVER do, Tag an ear without Tetanus anti-toxin or band without Tetanus anti-toxin.

Chris
Tetanus toxoid, or anti-toxin? I can certainly understand giving tetanus toxoid vaccine with an ear tag or castration (of any kind -- cord-crush, cut, or band), but I don't get the anti-toxin thing..

Anti-toxins are quick acting and short lived...do you put them on a regimen of it?

Something else that's not a good idea is disbudding without taking precautions for tetanus, for you folks who disbud..

Gheeeh...I hate disbudding.. :th

Griffin's Ark

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
cmjust0 said:
Griffin's Ark said:

Chris
Tetanus toxoid, or anti-toxin? I can certainly understand giving tetanus toxoid vaccine with an ear tag or castration (of any kind -- cord-crush, cut, or band), but I don't get the anti-toxin thing..

Anti-toxins are quick acting and short lived...do you put them on a regimen of it?

Something else that's not a good idea is disbudding without taking precautions for tetanus, for you folks who disbud..

Gheeeh...I hate disbudding.. :th
Tetanus toxoid is slow acting... the goat will not be protected from the shot for 10 to 14 days. Anti-toxin on the other hand works immediately. One dose is all you need if your goat is up to date on their CD and T. I also keep CD anti-toxin in the house. You could give it once a day if you needed to. CD and T toxoid is not the end all save all. Keep the anti-toxin on hand for any emergency and don't be afraid to use it. It won't hurt your animal, but it might save it.

Chris