butchering weight

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You have to get the trash can melting hot to release the toxins. And that only happens when welding or cutting so I would definitely use a trash can to scald a pig just not a plastic one

Anthony Sr.

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well hello neighbor! My husband and I are in Lindale! We will have to get together and have a good visit. @Devonviolet is in Winnsboro and @Latestarter is in Mount Pleasant, we get together every so often and eat, visit and get the nickel tour of the farm! You could come see us and Devonviolet, Latestarter could come too and we could have us a BYH good time!

Speaking of hog heads, I have one in the freezer, skinned, split, cleaned (no eyes, brains or teeth). Was thinking about making scrapple. I suppose I could make scrapple and serve it for our BYH party. LOL

Sounds Good to me, uh I'm city raised, what is "Scrapple"; My wife say's and I'll admit it's true that, I'll "eat anything put before it eats me, and then it may be a fight!!" I'm a survivor and brought-up to eat what's puts in front of me? Plus I enjoy all types of food.
Last night I had my 1st attempt at Jelly, and it came out pretty good = it set-jelled properly and I do enjoy the taste of it; it is "Coffee Jelly", my wife did guide me when I asked for help, she country {Simms port, LA.} raised.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you google scrapple you will find lots of recipes and such. It is basically the scraps of pork that get left after butchering and cutting up the pig, mixed with cornmeal and often flour and seasonings, to give you a loaf like consistancy. Most here in Va call it "ponhoss" and there are varying ways to spell and pronounce it. I LOVE it, sliced and pan fried I can make a meal on it. Sometimes used as a substitute for bacon if you don't have any, it will give you the overall flavor of pork and satisfy that craving to eat something more "solid" than just eggs.

Anthony Sr.

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I just told my wife what you said and she said they called that "HogHead-Cheese", and if that is what your talking about? I eat it, with egg's and toast ;). Haven't had any in a looooong time..

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just told my wife what you said and she said they called that "HogHead-Cheese", and if that is what your talking about? I eat it, with egg's and toast ;). Haven't had any in a looooong time..

Hog head cheese is also known as souse. My grandmother made souse. It is basically boiling the head (cleaned) picking out the meat and returning it to the broth. Put it in a loaf pan and chill. The broth gels and you cut it like lunchmeat. Scrapple has the cornmeal in it.

Let Christmas and New Year get past, and we'll have to have a BYH get together. I've never made scrapple, but I'm game for it. Got the hog head, might as well try it.

Anthony Sr.

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Anyone out here in East TX. getting ready to butcher their pig? may want to talk with ya about the head and inner's?
I'm about 60 miles SE of Dallas

Ron Bequeath

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
As a child i was raised on an 80 acre clan farm, everyone a cousin. My dad would get a guilt and a shoat (we called castrated male pigs and so do the amish today). He would feed them 3 ears of corn each, table, and garden-threshing scraps and we pulled a bushel of weeds per pig from the garden. And sometimes boughten feed. But less likely. He always buthered them around 5.5 to 6 months and they where usually 250 to 275. Over 300 he just feed 3 ears of corn and weeds, of course we still got to pull the weeds, of course you needed a garden that could supply 5 families.