Buy goat meat at WalMart.....

RathdrumGal

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Off work today and doing errands. Ran in to WM for couple items and as I was walking by a meat bunker, noticed some packages of liver and stopped to look. I was shocked to see the package next to it and had to read it after a double take....did I see it right???

"Bone-in Goat meat cubes"...:ep Picked it up and read again. Yes, goat meat for sale in Wal Mart. $11.94 for this 2# pkg. Looks like a lot of shank? Not for sure. Well, maybe the USA is going to embrace this meat source for wider distribution. The store has been working to incorporate a LOT of healthier options in past several months. This was not expected. It's a little town. I'll look at the larger one I work in tomorrow.

View attachment 54476
It does not surprise me. When we first looked into getting goats in 2012, the USDA was making a big push for more meat goats. The push was to accommodate the increasing ethnic minorities and refugees that eat goat. Did you happen to notice if the meat was halal?

SJConnon

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
NZ and Australian lamb and goat is the best in the world!

Come down under for a visit some time and you will see how good it is here!!

Love from your Kiwi Friend xx

ps. We have USA pork in our supermarkets.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
NZ and Australian lamb and goat is the best in the world!

Come down under for a visit some time and you will see how good it is here!!

Love from your Kiwi Friend xx

ps. We have USA pork in our supermarkets.

That's funny. Ship meat half way around the world, so how does USA pork taste? LOL

Granny Heeney

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Off work today and doing errands. Ran in to WM for couple items and as I was walking by a meat bunker, noticed some packages of liver and stopped to look. I was shocked to see the package next to it and had to read it after a double take....did I see it right???

"Bone-in Goat meat cubes"...:ep Picked it up and read again. Yes, goat meat for sale in Wal Mart. $11.94 for this 2# pkg. Looks like a lot of shank? Not for sure. Well, maybe the USA is going to embrace this meat source for wider distribution. The store has been working to incorporate a LOT of healthier options in past several months. This was not expected. It's a little town. I'll look at the larger one I work in tomorrow.

View attachment 54476
I took my daughter grocery shopping and we went 2 directions when we hit the door--I saw these, too, so I texted her a pic of them, right there in Wally-mart, "Hey kid, how are you on goat cubes?" "I'm good, Mom." :lol:

Granny Heeney

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
BUT SERIOUSLY..... Please excuse my novice-ness; I've limited info on most things livestock, but I'm gobbling up info here at BYH. :) Hubby and I love lamb but haven't had a bite of it in years because of the cost. How similar in taste is goat? We'd probably try a bag of these here goat chunks :D if 1) we were pretty sure we'd like it and 2) we knew ahead of time what the heck we were going to do with it LOL

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
goat meat chunks? I'd make shepherd's pie (with mashed potatoes on top, cheese on top of the mashed potatoes) or a pot pie with top and bottom pie crust. I make both with lamb and it is sooooo good!

Granny Heeney

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
goat meat chunks? I'd make shepherd's pie (with mashed potatoes on top, cheese on top of the mashed potatoes) or a pot pie with top and bottom pie crust. I make both with lamb and it is sooooo good!
Oooh, I've been threatening to make one for a couple weeks...with goat chunks, hmmm, gonna try it :D

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I actually looked for this at another WM and none. Went back into the store near me that had it and chcked the labels. From "Thomas Brothers" Farm, says "ranged naturally". OK. Really nothing else on pkg. The cubes are about 1.5" square, obviously machine cut -- perfect cubes.

Lamb & Goat. Some say goat tastes similar to good venison. Since haven't eaten that in many years, cant confirm. I enjoy lamb but, like many, rarely buy due to price. To be honest, goat isn't far behind. Mine tasted not quite beef --taste was good. Meat was tougher. The goat was a 18 month dairy. Adolph's tenderizer helped :D Next week I plan to cook some in a pressure cook dish. Plus, the meat breeds are more meat on carcass, & more tender as you can get weight much earlier -- 6-10 months. Goat IS NOT a meat that is short grained, always will be a little chewy. IMO. But worth raising.

All said -- I do plan to get back into some Boers, just for meat (kid & rebreed). I will take something to butcher for the freezer & pick up "done", sell others. :D Plus, I am considering a lamb or 2 for freezer only. While I love beef & pork, I can buy or trade out a lamb for some with a local I know who has both for meat raising & uses natural, no chem feeding. We would both be happy, well fed and not stressing ourselves with so many animal types to worry over.:cool: