Buy goat meat at WalMart.....

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Off work today and doing errands. Ran in to WM for couple items and as I was walking by a meat bunker, noticed some packages of liver and stopped to look. I was shocked to see the package next to it and had to read it after a double take....did I see it right???

"Bone-in Goat meat cubes"...:ep Picked it up and read again. Yes, goat meat for sale in Wal Mart. $11.94 for this 2# pkg. Looks like a lot of shank? Not for sure. Well, maybe the USA is going to embrace this meat source for wider distribution. The store has been working to incorporate a LOT of healthier options in past several months. This was not expected. It's a little town. I'll look at the larger one I work in tomorrow.

wm goat meat.jpg

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Boo.
Australian goat.
I'm sick of imported meats that we already have available/grown here in the states. =/

I can't find more info on their website, creepy.
But the "free range" has an asterisk behind it, so I wonder what that means....

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was surprised -- will check out the other store & if there get more labeling info. This was only I saw. Mgr at other store will help me find info, if he's there tomorrow.

:cool: Ya'll look for it where you are. I know of two butcher facilities that will order it in but don't carry as a regular. I used to haul mine to Richmond, butcher with good ethnic customer base. 1.5 hr drive, almost 20 yr ago.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
We shouldn't be surprised that an Australian company (a meat processor) would market Australian meat. They are a very large Australian food/ag processor/meat packer/produce canning company, similar I suppose in scope and product diversity to USA ConAgra.

COMPANY BACKGROUND
Thomas Foods International (TFI) is Australia’s largest 100% family-owned meat processor.

Established in 1988, the company is led by Chief Executive Officer Darren Thomas and his father and company founder Chris Thomas.

The TFI group of companies generates annual turnover in excess of $2 billion and employs more than 3000 people globally.

Processing on average 120,000 sheep, goats and lambs and 5000 cattle per week across the group, TFI supplies national markets and more than 85 overseas destinations.

TFI operates three meat-processing plants in Australia, located at Murray Bridge and Lobethal in South Australia, and Tamworth in New South Wales. The group also has a wholesale and distribution business that services the needs of the domestic market.

TFI is represented in the United States through its subsidiary company Thomas Foods International USA. This company services the entire North American market with distribution centres across numerous states and is the continent’s largest importer of Australian chilled beef and lamb.

Other businesses within the TFI group of companies include Thomas Foods International China (TFIC), a 100% company-owned distribution business based in Shanghai; food retail label Thomas Farms; meat wholesaler Holco; ready-to-cook meal business Thomas Farms Kitchen; and sustainable seafood export business Thomas Cappo Seafoods, a collaboration with Cappo Seafood.

Last edited: