buying sheep

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
4 months they are capable, but it may take him some time to figure it out. My 6 month old ram lamb bred a 3yr old ewe and Im expecting her baby within this week, so they can breed fairly fast. Trust me when I say, an intact ram with ewes will sooner than not result in lambs. What are your plans for breeding?

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
4 months they are capable, but it may take him some time to figure it out. My 6 month old ram lamb bred a 3yr old ewe and Im expecting her baby within this week, so they can breed fairly fast. Trust me when I say, an intact ram with ewes will sooner than not result in lambs. What are your plans for breeding?
We bought him specifically for breeding. We have a few younger ewes who are getting weaned from their mother who will be ready in July as well as their mothers who are ready any time after their kids are weaned.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
X2 they need to be kept separately until you want them to breed. She's too young. He might not be able to "do the deed" but not worth the risk.

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The lady who we bought him from said he would be ready in a few months so being the newbies we are we didn't think of any potnetial issues (stupid, I know :he)

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
We just got them yesterday we didn't know he was able to breed at 4 months so we are figuring out housing now since I don't want sara bred yet!
I totally understand! I know how exciting it is to start out with sheep, Maybe you could make a makeshift pen just to keep him in until you have their housing figured out.

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I totally understand! I know how exciting it is to start out with sheep, Maybe you could make a makeshift pen just to keep him in until you have their housing figured out.
That's what I'm going to do when I get home *sigh* damnit ramsey