C&D farming kidding thread...

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh geez...my hubby will looove that...when we had our buck,,,he loved to brag about his...manhood! :lol: So, I tried to get ahold of Stormy’s ligaments..she’s my skittish one...they still are tight. Busty too. But, boy those girls aren’t doing a thing...is that ok? I mean, I imagine it’s all fine and good..they are tired, etc..but..I just thought I should throw it out there.,,don’t need to worry about toxemia? One day they eat like hogs..the next, not so much...no one limps, I suppthey chew their cud..but Stormy always did that...so that’s nothing new. Rumen sounds are good and loud...I’m pretty sure they are just..uncomfortable. ?

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would get ketone strips and test them. They're the human ketone strips. Easy to check. They could just be uncomfortable. I prefer to be cautious and test if they seem slightly off. If they have ketones. It's easier to get control of it, if caught earlier.
My doe who has ketones in her urine was still eating and drinking, just being lazier.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would get ketone strips and test them. They're the human ketone strips. Easy to check. They could just be uncomfortable. I prefer to be cautious and test if they seem slightly off. If they have ketones. It's easier to get control of it, if caught earlier.
My doe who has ketones in her urine was still eating and drinking, just being lazier.
Ok, just of the internet...or can I get them at a drugstore? Both are due this week...ok..I just looked it up..rite aide has them..that’s the only retail store in my town. Ir they test positive, can I start with the karo strand molasshe’s in some sweet feed to get them eating...my hubby wil...um...not take kindly to me ‘getting crazy’ with the goats again...so I’d like to start as low key, as possible..I have nutridrench..I think I have the calcium gluconate...thing is..we are in the boonies...and Jeffers takes a few days to deliver...

Last edited:

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The ones at the drug store. I can only get them at rite aid as well. First i would see if they are positive. If they are not, then no worries.
If they are positive, the molasses/karo syrup is what we use. Easier to get it in them.
I live out away from every thing as well. Forget ever getting 2 day prime shipping. Always takes a week or longer.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok...I trimmed hooves this morning...because they needed it. I did NOT hurt her. If anything, I should have trimmed more. Busty has always been dramatic on the milk stand...when I go over her udeer to get her ready for milking...she sits down...last. Time we trimmed hooves she payed down..well, she did it again today...but worse. She was full-on laying down. I trimmed what I could...not much at all. At that time I offered grain. She wasn’t real interested. Tongight, after talking to you I took out sweet feed... first of all, she was limping. It can’t be from the trim...I didn’t do anything!! No way did I hurt her!! But of course the guilt and worry was overwhelming...then, she wasn’t interested in banana peels...then tried sweet feed...not really, then she nibble of alfalpellets, then drank and layed down...she was whooped. I gave her more grain,sipome sweet feed too. Gotta get her appetite going again.,! Going to the drug store first thing in the morning for the strips....they I can treat sccordingly...hioefully, to treat like a normal pREGNANY!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes...Busty has toxemia..she showed up the light pink...where it said trace to small...I couldn’t get Stormy to urinate....I called the vet...she said to give them both nutridrench..and molasses...tums...push hay...feed grain and some sweet feed. Basically everything you had said and are doing with yours. We had such a struggle to get them on the stand. First of all, Busty, is not much for getting up much right now. Her urine had sat for a couple hrs, do you think that matters? I had to go out and get the test strips... I’ll try to get some fresh and retest tomorrow. They won’t even eat the molasses right now, which is weird, right? We put it on marshmallows...not a hit. Busty wouldn’t eat the tums either, but they were sugar free, so go8ng out for regukar tomorrow. They did eat a few bananas...so, that was good. I might try some kayo syrup on some grain tonight?

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I am not sure if the urine sitting will affect it. I always put the strip in while they're peeing. I use a syringe and squirt the molasses/karo mix in their mouth. My does would not eat it if i just put it out. Our goats are extremely picky. Do you have a buck? If you do, you can walk them over towards the buck pen and they'll pee. You do not need much urine to test. No need to put them on the stand. I do not put ours on the stand unless it's milking time. I try to make it as stress free as possible.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
No buck anymore..he was a handful...we were too new and he was not well behaved. I could’ve put the strip under a Busty if I had it this morning...I can do that tomorrow. Stormy runs now when she sees me coming. Unfortunately, I’ve turned my skittish gal into a paranoid sweetie. I feel so bad. I’ve tried to use the goat stand for a positive experience...and I even used to brush them, and give them a nice treat after, besides the bit of grain while on it. Now they won’t even eat when in it. If you don’t put them in the stand...how do squirt molasses in them? It was like world war 3 getting Busty to take the nutridrench. And I hate putting them through this. They both had such a rough life before we got them in Aug..and I feel like I’m betraying a trust...I know I’m doing what’s good for them..but they don’t realize that...:(

quick question...what do you put your goat kids in at night to sleep in? We see on the internet that many use those blue barrels, or igloo dog houses...some use med dog crates...we are trying to come up with something Chris can build...a little cheaper? We just hate to ruin the blue barrels since we are not going to kid much...etc...