C&D Farming..oh what a life!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
She’s in quarantine...she looks fine, she still is just hunched...her tail doesn’t go up. Hasn’t laid an egg, but that could be from stress of moving? I’ll try all these home remedies....I hate to cull an otherw health bird. I felt up around he4 vent...did Not feel an obstruction..bu5 it was just a quick poke.

i have to sell three of my beloved rabbits that I’ve had for about a year. I have sooo many fancy breeds now...and, we’ll, these are just kind of mixed meat does. I don’t sell for meat, but they made beautiful kits..got a chocolate kit this last time. Anyways..I’m sure someone is going to buy them for meat breeding. 😩. But, I have three juveniles NZ...which, I don5 even need them....the6 are really just for my breeding practice in the winter and for $15 kits for kids. As I now see it with the rabbits..w3 don’t eat them..we don’t make money from kids all year long..only breeders buy all year long. So, from now on, I’m only buying pedigree...and good quality. they eat the same. It costs more up front, but the litters pay for themselves ove4 and over, etc.

IF we were goin* to get into selling goats for money, this is what I’d do also...but registeered goats. But, that’s not the plan....yes, they will kid, but,it’s really just to help defray the feed bill...not to earn money. The goats are my pets, anything I get extra, like the milk, and kidding,..,is a bonus. Speaking of milk....I cut back on the mixed grain so they wouldn’t make quite as much milk....not sure if its just because of a change in feed? It backfired. The6 are now making more milk with just plain Dumor pellets than when I mix the grains. They don’t like it near as muc( and give me grief..,lol..stinkers....

oh..so, the rabbit people in PA are kind of NUTS! If you put down..I don’t know, the wrong color in an ad...or some othe4 type of thing...like for the one doe I’m selling...I said she was mostly a NZ...I got 4 replies telling me she had flemish, Dutch, etc in her, not just NZ....ugh...so, I changed the ad to say...mixed doe! 🤣🤣🤣. I’m finding...with the rabbit people....most tell you to rebreed on day 30....some say on day 40...one yesterday said day 35. I’m going with 40... I had a rabbit miscarry on day 46. When I rebreed her.anyways...it seems there are ton of people in PA who know absolutely EVERYTHING ABOUT RABBITS!🤣🤣🤣

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
She’s in quarantine...she looks fine, she still is just hunched...her tail doesn’t go up. Hasn’t laid an egg, but that could be from stress of moving? I’ll try all these home remedies....I hate to cull an otherwies healthy bird. I felt up around he4 vent...did Not feel an obstruction..bu5 it was just a quick poke.

i have to sell three of my beloved rabbits that I’ve had for about a year. I have sooo many fancy breeds now...and, we’ll, these are just kind of mixed meat does. I don’t sell for meat, but they made beautiful kits..got a chocolate kit this last time. So, she can’t be just a NZ..has to some mix? Anyways..I’m sure someone is going to buy them for meat breeding. 😩. But, I have two juveniles NZ...which, I don5 need them....the6 are $15 kits for kids And I really want to tr6 to play with color over the winter..using different bucks? I don’t know...it’s hard for me to read all this gene stuff...none of it makes sense with all the letters... but, the flawed part of my plan..other breeders in this area, that do this..to “Get their herd stronger” do a soft cull. I asked what that meant. I didn’t get a straight answer. Basically I’m guessing...the kits are axed early because they don’t want to feed them. I hate that idea. But, I do want to learn how to breed good quality rabbits....As I now see it with the rabbits..w3 don’t eat them..we don’t make money from kids all year long..only breeders buy all year long. So, from now on, I’m only buying pedigree...and good quality. pedigree rabbit’s eat the same as non pedigree ...It costs more up front, but the litters pay for themselves ove4 and over, etc.

IF we were goin* to get into selling goats for money, this is what I’d do also...buy registeered goats. But, that’s not the plan....yes, our goats will kid, but,it’s really just to help defray the feed bill...not to earn money. The goats are my pets, anything I get extra, like the milk, and kidding,..,is a bonus. Speaking of milk....I cut back on the mixed grain so they wouldn’t make quite as much milk....not sure if its just because of a change in feed? It backfired. The6 are now making more milk with just plain Dumor pellets than when I mix the grains. They don’t like it near as muc( and give me grief..,lol..stinkers....

we got the new fence panels up and geez, now the6 have much more room. The funny thing is..Chris is no longer mad at them eating the pine trees...the fencing is really for me...8m always chasing the kids! They are bad! The adults stay in the boundaries just fine..the kids must have ADHD, especially Trixie...she’s ALWAYS into trouble. Yesterday she knock down my entire egg baskET from the morning round...27 eggs...ugh. If she wasn’t so cute! Oh, we banded their unicorns! We chickened out way back when out using the iron..we did it on Walter right before we sold him...we both were a disaster! So, we decided to let the horns grow until about they were all about over an inch or so...so we did it a few days ago. Drama queens!! We did it to Honey,our adult..her horns are like...5”? She didn’t even fuss! The friends told us to file a groove before we put the bands on, bu5 th3 kid# put such a fuss, w3 though5 we were killing Trixie, so we didn’t do it on anyone else....we did make sure to ge5 hair in the bands...used two bands with each horn. the6 are fine now. I’m sure it won’t go perfectly..nothing ever does? But, even spurs would be safer than me getting it in th3 eye like back in November! Plus, the kids’ poke me all the time..8 know they look nice, and yes, they come in handy, like pulling on you4 kid’s ear..🤣. But, my kid’s ear can’t poke me in the rear!🤣

oh..so, the rabbit people in PA are kind of NUTS! If you put down..I don’t know, the wrong color in an ad...or some othe4 type of thing...like for the one doe I’m selling...I said she was mostly a NZ...I got 4 replies telling me she had flemish, Dutch, etc in her, not just NZ....ugh...so, I changed the ad to say...mixed doe! 🤣🤣🤣. I’m finding...with the rabbit people....most tell you to rebreed on day 30....some say on day 40.......I’m going to probably go with day 38? So, it seems there are ton of people in PA who know absolutely EVERYTHING ABOUT RABBITS!🤣🤣🤣

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
The quarantine chicken....gave her liver oil..hasn’t laid an egg...I don’t know what to do for her?
D712AEA0-2BEB-4540-8CF7-DB1BEC192A2E.jpeg
363BC50F-3EA9-40D2-A5ED-AB667FAFE4D1.jpeg
08D793BB-2EC8-4277-82E4-F7113AC92CFE.jpeg

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think she eats...she sure did before we separated her....I mean, we have to refill her feed, just not as often as a normal chicken. Should we ‘help’ her pass? I feel sooo bad!!! She’s very sweet and I hold and pet her....

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The cod liver oil was not meant to give down her throat..... I said to use a needleless syringe and squirt some in the cloaca , meaning her butt hole , where she lays the egg.... if she seems to be eggbound. Sometimes it will help to lubricate the tract down that the egg travels.... It looks to me like she needs to be put down. Chickens get different things, and honestly, they are not worth the money to try to go to heroic lengths to save them. If they don't get better after a few days, looking like she does, put her down.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
The cod liver oil was not meant to give down her throat..... I said to use a needleless syringe and squirt some in the cloaca , meaning her butt hole , where she lays the egg.... if she seems to be eggbound. Sometimes it will help to lubricate the tract down that the egg travels.... It looks to me like she needs to be put down. Chickens get different things, and honestly, they are not worth the money to try to go to heroic lengths to save them. If they don't get better after a few days, looking like she does, put her down.
Sorry @farmerjan ...I read your response but, by the time I was able to get the ‘job done’. I didn’t remember the darn instructions and, obviously botched tgat. Chris says he is going to cull her today, but he doesn’t believe it’s a stuck egg, or...well, he just wants to investigate when he opens her up. So, unfortunately, she will not be dinner, since she is clearly sick.

Weve definitely decided to sell some chickens, but only ten, not 20. were selling the eggs, the feed is much cheaper when bought by 1/2 ton...the only draw back is washing the eggs every night. I’m always tired. Chris absolutely refuses to do it...he is a stubborn man. He said I on,y wanted 20 chickens...but, he loves having all the eggs..I think?

other draw back to sooo many animals....way too tired to do anything. Literally. I’m selling all my original rabbits..whic( is very hard..even this one guy...who was really a pet..his name is uncle George...he’s such a character. Escape artist..gives nose kisses...just the best darned bunny! But I’m only selling him to a pet home, and I’m being VERY PICKY about who he goes to. I have a nice family who wants him and another young buck...I talked to her last night about getting them both fixed...she wants them together. She said she would..good sign there. Now I just have to talk to her about not putting them on the ground...because she already bought them movable caging. I’m going to explain cross contamination, etc. the only rabbits we lost the first year...they were on the ground. I’m sorry, but I’m not selling rabbits to people that intend to put them on the ground.

the mini pigs are due at the end of the month. The one has really dropped..she showing much different than the other two. Issue with these gals...first pregnancy...they are 28 lbs..well, before getting pregnant..and they are not very tame. Chris is spending lots of time trying to give them pets and affection, as he feeds them...going to be tough.

OHHHHHH..HORRIBLE NEWS,! They built a walking trail..right on our property line..it literally over looks everything...it was railroad tracks.we had sooooo much privacy. We that’s gone! Now, there tons of people going by...it’s nice for them to walk by and see cute goats, etc..but I can’t yell at Chris, he can’t chase me around, etc! My dad thinks we should put in a parking lot..with meters..and we’d ‘be rich’!🤣. He’s a nut..he’s also the guy who persistently lights a lawnmower on fire and thinks, for some reason, one time, he’ll get a different result?!🤣

ok, time to milk...ttyl! Just thought I’d throw in some pictures for fun...that one egg...look at the yolk..it was like a pit! Weird! My dog Muggs actually went out on the farm! Goats in the new pen, one of the tiny piglets we sold, and one of the pregnant gals...oh, and a new bunny...❤️
5E00EA13-919B-4188-9FFA-69E658C03297.jpeg
2DC05258-A0A5-4EE1-B598-9B0BC5603BE2.jpeg
4041C092-5C46-4264-8D71-216EFB09E8EB.jpeg
3660A0C9-F59C-40A3-94C0-B1F452DD26F3.jpeg
AB5B4DAE-5968-43B4-82B8-9FC34DFBD9FD.jpeg
412F07F4-54CE-4BE2-9DBC-6EFD2FA70A22.jpeg