CAE and CL Testing

Vumani

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I hear a lot about CAE and CL testing but have never done it. I would like to get my herd tested but have no idea where to start. Is there a test lab I send something to, is it a test I can perform myself or does it require a vet. Any direction would be helpful.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
We vaccinate our entire herd for rabies. You have to have a vet give this vaccination. So, when he comes out for this we do an annual health check. He draws blood and tests for CAE, CL and Johnes. Does a general examination of all of our animals.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I put a thread on here a couple months ago asking who vaccinated for rabies and who didn't. Very few replies. Probably because it didn't involve a picture of a goats vulva :lol:

Why? My vet recommended it.

Goats can catch rabies if exposed. Fairly common in N.C. for goats or other livestock to catch rabies. Lots of animals here who are known carriers, foxes, raccoons, bats etc. Goats can easily be exposed.

Just a couple of months ago, a story on the news about a Lamancha in an adjacent county put down with rabies.

In NY a few years ago, a goat at a fair had rabies, and they spent literally millions of dollar testing and treating people who had been exposed. You cannot show a goat in NY who does not have a certificate that they have been vaccinated for rabies.

I don't want to take the chance that I will have an animal exposed, and have to quarantine my herd because I didn't spend $10 on a vaccination.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Rabies is a common problem from Pennsylvania and Eastern US. It is recommended in those states. If you live along a border of one of those states you should definitely ask your vet.

http://www.backyardherds.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2607-basic-health
Rabies
--vaccines for sheep but not labeled for goats (work with your vet)
--may be required for exhibition in some states
--may be justified in some flocks / herds to protect valuable genetics and humans
--a big concern for states Pennsylvania and East of PA due to raccoon rabies

nmred

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Wow! One more thing to worry about! Thankfully, I'm in New Mexico, and I've never heard of anyone having a problem with this, so hopefully I'm safe.
In NY a few years ago, a goat at a fair had rabies, and they spent literally millions of dollar testing and treating people who had been exposed.
You mean you can get rabies from animals by just walking by? I thought you had to be bitten or be exposed to body fluids in some other way. How do you know if you've been exposed? Sorry if I sound ignorant, but this is completely new to me.:/