Can coyotes jump a 4 ft fence?

jmsim93

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
that's*satyrical said:
ooohh. where are you guys located?? I haven't heard any around here but that is scary!
I live in East Texas. We are INFESTED with them!!!! :-(

jmsim93

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
well, honey, you look under the belly (thru the scope of the rifle)and if there are "man parts".......its usually a boy.
:D
:lol:

KaleighMaeA

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Are you using in guardian animals in addition to the fence? I know they can and will get over a fence like that if they want whats inside bad enough.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
4 ft fence won't even slow them down much. I live in San Jacinto County Tx and they cross the river and come thru my place every night, and they are in a very large pack--getting braver all the time too. When I was younger, they were pretty shy and it was rare to get one to come within rifle range without a call, but nowdays, I see them even in broad daylight in open pasture, but usually in singles or pairs at the most. They'll pack up together at night tho. Haven't lost any calves yet, but it's not from their lack of trying. Pay close attention to rhe tails and ears of your stock. If you find dried blood or a tattered look to the hair on those extremities, it's a pretty good sign coytes have been after them. I detest the things, but gotta admit they are interesting creatures--tho I still wouldn't pass up a chance to put one down with a rifle slug.

Rebbetzin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Coyotes are very clever beasts. They work together in packs. I have heard they use a female in heat to lure male guard dogs away from their flocks, then the pack will kill the dog. They do that here in the city where there are not many "prey" type animals for them anymore, except people's pets.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
As much as I hate to say this, you're best defense is being a harder target than the guy down the road. Beyond that not much will stop a determined pack except a gun.

zzGypsy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
in So Cal they're a problem too... we had several nice lambs killed. had a coyote trot right between me and one of my draft horses 20' away... in broad daylight.

AND we had 3 of our draft horses with multiple bites on their legs and jaw - fortunately no major damage but probably more than a dozen bites between the three horses.

sheep and horses were in a pasture with a 5' fence. we stopped losing lambs when we penned the sheep in a small enclosure at night (just enough room for all the sheep to lay down). I think that's too close quarters for a coyote to want to be in with adult sheep in the 200-300 lb range. however, that was mid-summer, and I'm thinking that we might still have been at risk were it winter, with hungrier coyotes.

and a couple of years ago we lost most of our ducks and a couple of geese. we had a fully fenced coop(sides, top) as well as 3' of wire skirted out from the pen. coyotes started digging *outside* the skirt and duck a 5' long, 1' deep trench in one night.

we're in MO now, and have moved to Coyote Central - there' are 3 major packs right around us. I've got LGDs now - they're still pups, but so far, no losses.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Just moved from Washington where we had lots of coyotes. Never had a bit of problem with them there except for the chickens and ducks. But then the bears kept them under control Nothing like a 300 pound bear to keep the coyotes out of the pasture! On the other hand, it was a real problem when my best milker was being dumb and instead of coming up to the barn with the rest of the herd, ran past one of those bears one day in a blind panic. The bear did what bears and (any untrained dog) would do. He chased her caught her and killed her. He would have left her alone otherwise.

Our big problem was feral dogs of the wolf hybrid variety. WHAT A HEADACHE! They are hard to track, hard to corner, hard to shoot and they are extremely hard to trap! They don't work in packs. They work alone. They disappear like greased lightening. They rarely come out in the open in the daytime and they sneak in to the barns, fields and fences and pick off animals right under your darned nose. They understand how people function and they are great at hiding from them.

People use emu's and Llama's to control them and even that doesn't work well.