Canesisters 2023 journal - turning my Disasters into Delights

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
.. turning into Wild Kingdom over here

Saw this pretty little kitty on my porch last night. I was wondering what has been rototilling my yard. He's welcome to the grubs but we'll have issues if he decided to mess with the chickens.
skunk 3.20.23.jpg

Sorry it's so blurry, it's a screen shot of a video. He really was very pretty.
How do you post videos????

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Been a while since I added to this and now I have another big project and a few questions.

I was gifted a car load... and I MEAN a CAR LOAD!!! of plants.
car full of plants.jpg

car full of plants rear.jpg

Almost all of them need shade or dappled shade - so I'm planning to put them in the area I call the Piney Woods garden. This area WAS completely covered in underbrush. There are still a LOT of vines, honeysuckle, various poison this & that. So there are A LOT of roots to contend with.
where most of the car full of plants is going.jpg

So here's my questions.

Have any of you ever used the auger bits in a handheld drill? Would they cut through roots?? Lots of little plant roots, but also some tree roots big as a thumb or a little bigger.
Would a hole-saw bit do the same thing? I already have 3 of those.

I've got over 100 plants to get in the ground as quickly as possible. Many are going to need holes 1' wide or more. I got all of the iris (20-30 or so) in and 3 of the shrubs planted Sat evening when I got home. The iris were easy since they only need to go in a shallow space. The shrubs were TOUGH and I ended up having to get the maul to chop the roots out of the holes.
I'm looking for any easier ideas to get these beauties in the ground as quickly as possible.
At the moment, my garden cart is PACKED with the hostas, various lillys, and a few more shrubs. There is a HUGE mound of spiderwort heeled-in into a small depression with mulch covering the roots and a couple of feed bags full of solomon's seal and some other things that I've forgotten what they're called.

Also.... any suggestions better than the shop vac to get the 1" or so of soil out of my car? 🤣

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Forgot to add - I also have the option to get one of these 'free' through the company safety award program... never heard of them & don't know if it would be worth using up half my points on
View attachment 98876
Woah - I never knew such a thing existed!!! Looks very interesting.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
That rotoshovel trencher thing looks pretty neat... He//, I'd get it, and give it a try....Is there something else you want to save the points for? How long does it take to save up/ earn points???? Then again, might be better to just put some extra "back" into your own shovel... and there are no real easy ways to deal with roots... I like the shovels that have the V in the center of the shovel point so it can't "slide to the side" of the root when you want to stomp down on it... to cut it...
What about getting a load of decent dirt, and digging the plants in a little bit and then building up the dirt... like a raised bed so to speak????

Last edited: