Canesisters 2023 journal - turning my Disasters into Delights

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
One other thing.... DO NOT go with aluminum wire... it is easy to string BUT.... it bends and will break much more easily.... go with a 14 gauge or thereabouts... smaller gauge # is heavier wire... 17 gauge is okay but I really prefer 14 gauge if possible... Get anything that is NOT aluminum.....
High tensile wire is harder to bend than just a standard steel wire... I would not use that unless that is all they have... it is stiff and will snap back on you if cut it, or it breaks and you don't "hold on to the end".... It is fine for some applications but not ideal for stringing where you are not going to have a tensioner on the wire......

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
One thing, wet/damp grounds make it much more effective. If this is a dry area, it may not be making a good ground. People will go out and pour a bucket of water around a ground rod if it is real dry. Doesn't have to be in a lake, just not bone dry drought stressed ground... If it is damp enough for plants to not be wilting, it is damp enough. But pouring a bucket of water on the ground rod/general area, never hurt anything.
At one point DH was working Trouble Phase, checking lights that were not functioning to put in replacement requests. As he was on the way to the light and pole, he passed an elderly couple pulling a wagon. While writing up the light for replacement the couple arrived at the pole. The took a 5 gallon bucket of water out of the wagon and poured it on the ground near the ground rod. DH asked what they were doing. They told hm that they did this every couple days, and it made the light work. DH wrote up the light for replacement and also the ground rod! LOL

I have been thinking about ground rods with our projected use of electric fence. I am thinking about putting them around the water faucets in the pastures so the continually damp ground will allow the fences to work better. Or possibly zap me when I go to turn on the hoses! o_O

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Grown-up, big girl, Real Farmer fencing is about to be happenin' all up in the place!
20230609_174312.jpg

EDITED TO ADD:

HOLEY-FREEKIN-MOLEY!!!! 😳
First off, my old charger had a polite little "tic, tic, tic". This monster goes "POP! POP! POP!"
I hooked it up & ran outside with the fence checker to spot test a couple places. In the past I've done great to get 3 lights. 4 lights was reason to take pictures & celebrate! Tonight - without a single line replaced (YET) - EIGHT LIGHTS!!!! That's as high as the tester goes!!!

Yall...... I am dancing in the driveway!!!! Twirlies & all !!!

Is it possible??? Do I dare hope that loose cows might become a rare event instead of a weekly (daily?) routine?????

Last edited:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would take the tester and go around to different spots along the whole fence and see what it is testing... The poly braid might not be in such bad shape as the charger you had was just too "small" for what you were doing.
You might be able to just go through and add a wire all along the top of what you have and that will be enough to discourage them once they get zapped....

Love @Ridgetop 's comment... sorry for Eva, but it would be funny to see her get her little "comeuppance"...

I truly hope this solves the problem for you....

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sis will be here around 10. I picked up a 1/2 mile roll of 14g. We'll replace much (if not all) of the top line today.
My goal (eventually) is to not only keep these two naughty little girls safely confined, but for once in the nearly 20yrs I've been here, too feel like my fences are up to the challenge of whatever might end up in there over the next 20 yrs.

Thanks to you ALL for the advice & encouragement!!! 💞 I really was seriously considering letting them both go & just having empty fields & barn because I just couldn't Ever feel confident that my livestock was safe.