Carla D-Great new adventures and an Amazing Life

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
According to some, just about any animal and even inanimate objects can be an adult's 'therapy animal' or 'therapy object'.

An old piston from a '68 428 Cobrajet engine is mine. Provides me with the all important safe space so I don't get 'triggered'. :cool:

(no, not really)

Last edited:

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
F42A37F2-F5FF-418F-AEF5-D469892571A3.jpeg
I don't keep a journal, my blabberfingers just take on a life of their own and wander all over the place. This is your journal, do what the heck you want. Anybody that don't like it, can go read something else. LOL LOL

Chronic pain is a terrible thing and leads people to become addicted to opiate drugs. Then they stop being effective and it takes more, it is a one way road to hell and back. Either you, your doctors or both are wise not to take you down the road to financial ruin and perdition. If hugging a goat makes you happy, put one in the backyard! LOL
Your blabberfingers tell a pretty cool story. I believe yours front and back. I think it was 14-16 pages that I had access to. Was it you that built the Pig Palace? I think it was you or SBC. Anyways, here’s our version, the Hog Hut. I think it’s about 5’x8’ and four feet tall. We had three pregnant sows coming out of it like a clown car a month ago.

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:yuckyuck Actually, in some places a goat can be considered a pet in the same category as a dog or cat. In addition, they can ALSO be used as a therapy animal and they sure seem to be therapeutic to you! You should get a doctor's note to that effect and then alternate a few at a time through your "complex" to "socialize" them to little kids and playground equipment ;) Though management might raise an eye, I'm sure the kids (both species) would be thrilled!
I’d really like to know where that is. If it has temperatures that don’t go above 100 degrees or below 30 degrees very often, I’d like to move there.

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
About three weeks ago a goat farmer, hobbyist, had a post on Craig’s list. She was liquidating her four mini Nubians. She also happened to live a mile away from us and on our route to the farm. Pretty handy. I wrote her telling her that her goats were absolutely beautiful and I doubted she’s have any problem selling them. Well today she emailed me today that cannot find a home for her wether and asked if I wanted him. I explained I had 8 youngsters all boys, and that they still have horns and that they are currently housed indoors. That if her mini would be comfortable with our setup that I would love to give him a new home. He is gorgeous and only five months old. Isn’t he gorgeous. He’s actually the same goat she had wanted to sell that caught my eye. She had three other does that were possibly pregnant. This is the one I fell in love with. I hope things work out for this little guy.
0bd4dccf-e0fa-42ac-9fcd-47ecb10414c2-png.54197
120e8987-a950-4bf1-bea1-1119959bd5c7-png.54198

Last edited:

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Oh my goodness! I can’t believe how things are turning out with the mini Nubian lady. I’m not getting the little guy in the previous post. But, she would like me to have two mini Nubians. Ernie, a wether and Gatsby a buckling. I told her I’d be honored to give her boys a good home if she thought they would be ok with 8 young guys that haven’t been dehorned just yet and if they wouldn’t have any problems living indoors for the winter. She only had two requests. 1. Give them both a good home, 2. She asked that I don’t wether Gatsby. She would like to borrow him in the future to breed him with some of her girls. I think that’s a very reasonable request. I had one request of my own. When she borrows him during breeding season I want access to Gatsby so my daughter and I can visit with him, possibly daily. How is this play out? I don’t have things this amazing fall into my lap. I feel I’ve won the lottery. I’m so excited to see the little boys.

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Today’s project is going to be climbing on the roof of the barn/shed. This may be my last chance to get up there to try and fix it. Backup plan is to patch holes in the sides of the building. I’ve always been skeptical of the “as seen on tv” products. But, I’m going to try Flex Seal tape and spray. That is what the guy at Menards had suggested. Time will tell, I guess. I only wish I didn’t have so many issues with being off of the ground so far up. It’s time to be brave.

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I used the flex seal trying to fix my gutters ( which I ended up replacing), and my 100g rubbermaid water trough. Didnt work worth a darn. It was the spray on stuff. Maybe the tape will work better.
My neighbor got this tape people use to put on travel trailers to seal where it leaks at the seams on the roofs. Once you put it on, its on. If the flex tape dont work, maybe you can find that.
Please be careful on that roof.
That is really good to know about Flex Seal. I plan on patching it with the tape then covering the area around the edges really well with the spray. I did not go up on the roof today. It has been misting all afternoon. Plus I’ve adopted two goats that I had to get settled in on the farm. I sure hope the snow can hold off for at least a week or two. So I can get up there on a really decent day. I think I know what the tape your neighbor used. I just can’t remember the name of the stuff. Thank you.

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I added two new goats to my herd today. They are super sweet and pretty too. There is a couple of issues that have come up since their arrival about five hours ago. They are huge! These Mini Nubians are a whole lot bigger than I ever anticipated. I’m thinking the 7 month old one must weigh roughly 75-100 pounds. And the other one is a year and a half old wether. I’m thinking he is at least 100 pounds, but could be pushing 150 pounds. One issue is Ernie/Mozart is not nice to my little guys at all. He has very roughly rammed two of my babies into the walls of the enclosure. That has my biggest concern. The new boys have taken over the goat hut. My boys are still getting some supplemental heat at night because they shiver really bad without it. The babies are too afraid of the new goats to even think about going into their hut. The two new goats eat like a horse. I’m going to struggle to keep them supplied with feed and hay. Then the lady I got them from has me shaking my head. She told me that I should try and put some weight on the 7 month old because she thought he was too thin. There isn’t one thing that is tiny about these new goats. They look extremely bloated or very fat. The bigger one looks like he’s hauling around a gallon jug of goat treats in his belly. He is HUGE! The other one that she said was underweight also looks like he’s carrying around a gallon of milk as well. So, I’m thinking I’m going to need to limit their feed. I’m not sure how to do that either. I’ve been feeding them what they wanted when they wanted it. The two new goats are going to be eating an entire bale of grass hay before it’s bedtime. My babies look starved when I go in to feed them their bottles. I should have taken a picture of them from above to show you how big they really are. The gal I got them from is also a believer in holistic medication. Neither of them have ever been vaccinated. Plus she told me she thinks the bigger one has worms. It does look like I will be getting a nice new goat area set up. It’s three times as big as I had asked for. It has to be at least 50’x50’. I was only anticipating that it would be half that size, that’s all I asked for as well. There is some really nice and lush grass/alfalfa/weed mixture there as well. The third photo does show how round they are. But it’s from a slight distance. I think I’m going to be very careful as to how much food and hay they get. Every article or story I’ve read about goats says they should have endless amount of hay/grass. Is there any way I can keep them all in the same good size pasture outside? Does anyone have any suggestions?
2134A674-0ABF-4386-BF04-6624E10955AA.jpeg
E3E17E98-FC63-4C3B-A4AB-7F0DD6436669.jpeg
3E485A47-EDAF-424E-B818-36BB381B94D9.jpeg