1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Ear Tags - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Carla D-Great new adventures and an Amazing Life

Discussion in 'Member's "BackYardHerds" Journals' started by Carla D, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Feb 20, 2019
    Carla D

Carla D True BYH Addict

I have a momma rabbit who is definitely hit the late stage in pregnancy of “When is this going to be over? I’ve had enough.” stage. I’m not sure if it was my imagination tonight. But, she grew noticeably in the last 8 hours. This is what she looked like earlier today.
    8F6D4C61-67E3-46BE-B51F-7BE539A04E28.jpeg

This was tonight.
    C942C773-8165-465A-968E-F4743F8B6E4C.jpeg

This is a video of her before I left for the night. Poor Ginger looks miserable.

Senile_Texas_Aggie likes this.
  2. Feb 20, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

She sure is pretty. She should pull fur before kindling or immediately after, to keep the kits warm. Good luck with the babies!

3. Feb 20, 2019
    Carla D

Carla D True BYH Addict

I’ve been fascinated by her coloring since I brought her home. She’s such a snuggle bug normally. She doesn’t mind a couple gentle strokes on her side at this point. But, I try not to disrupt her serenity right now. Her babies should have pretty interesting coloring with Heath being the father.
    1E3BAC91-5E2F-4BA9-924E-7D8BEA60A6B8.jpeg

Senile_Texas_Aggie, Baymule and Rammy like this.
  4. Feb 20, 2019
    Carla D

Carla D True BYH Addict

This is how busy she was this morning. I kinda thought she may be nasty, but after watching closely she only had the munchies. She didn’t look miserable at all this morning. That changed in big hurry.

Senile_Texas_Aggie likes this.
  5. Feb 20, 2019
    Carla D

Carla D True BYH Addict

The dwarfs were quite busy when I took this video. I was a bit concerned they may be able to get through the bars. They may still yet. But, as long as we keep the door closed they can’t get very far. It’s a good thing the door opens outward.

Senile_Texas_Aggie and Rammy like this.
  6. Feb 21, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

I made rabbit cages. The bottoms were 1/2"x1" and I extended that wire up about 3". The sides, door and top were 1"x2". Before I started extending the bottom wire up the sides, baby kits would wriggle out and fall to the ground. Hint: if you find a cold unresponsive baby out of the nest, out on the wire, just tuck the little ice cube in your bra. Warm up one side, then turn it over and warm the other side. I did barn chores many a day with a bunny or two in my bra. LOL

7. Feb 21, 2019
    Carla D

Carla D True BYH Addict

I can’t wait to go out and check on Ginger this morning. But it’s going to have to wait until my hubby gets back from the doctors this morning.

Rammy and Senile_Texas_Aggie like this.
  8. Feb 21, 2019
    Carla D

Carla D True BYH Addict

This is good to know.

This is only a thought. Because baby bunnies are almost free, if you think of their mother as a pet. Bunnies are frequently sold really cheap. It got me thinking about how I can charge a bit more for my bunnies than $20-25 each. Do you think selling them for $50 is outrageous if they come with a “starter kit”? Like a small cage, bag of bunny food, and treat. Plus a water bottle and food dish. I need to do some actual number crunching to figure out a respectable price though. I’m also thinking of creating a “starter kit” for goats hen I get around to selling baby goats. I was really caught off guard when I bought my boys. I’d like to ensure their new owner knows how to care for them when they leave our farm. I’m thinking about a small bag of milk replacer, a Pritchard nipple, card with some basic care for babies with things like recommended vaccines, when to have them disbudded, when to worm them for the first time, castration, and signs to look for to keep their baby/babies healthy. Things like that. Instead of charging $5 for a baby buckling or $100 for doelings I could charge something like $75 and $175 for them. I plan on selling Nubians as babies down the road. Does this sound like a good/clever way to sell baby goats?

Rammy and Senile_Texas_Aggie like this.
  9. Feb 21, 2019
    Bruce

Bruce Herd Master

Is there shrinkage?

10. Feb 21, 2019
    Rammy

Rammy Herd Master Golden Herd Member