SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Heres the barn from th back
20141228_125615.jpg

this is how we do the 1x4s on the corners
20141228_125641.jpg

and we took a part half of the sheep shack and made a feed room in the new barn. Im having hay delivered tomorrow so I didnt want it in the feed shack and then have to move them all over.
20141228_140519.jpg

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I will surmise that this barn will go tilt tilt after a few seasons due to poor placement and foundation ! Also the gaps in the siding will allow moisture to enter and cause dryrot in the siding. Good luck ! :caf

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
My parents fixed the level issue. They replaced the patio blocks with cinder blocks and the leveling issue fixed itself. We have two other buildings on cinder blocks, ones been there 3 or 4 yrs, the other 10 or so. I dont think it will fall over especially since it is anchored in the ground 2 or 3 ft around the foundation. The siding is painted with outdoor paint, so it wont rot. We used the same paint and same boards on the sheds we built 3 and 5 yrs ago and the boards are ok. If you have seen pics of the sheep shack, those boards are rotted because they didnt have any paint or sealant.

Theres really only gaps on the ends, top, and bottom, but that will be covered in trim, like the other buildings we have built.

we arent done yet. Theres still more we have to do ;)

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Without properly poured foundation, it will EVENTUALLY sink and possibly cave after that in heavy snow or rip apart in heavy wind. But that's all worst case and wont/shouldn't happen for awhile.
Frost line in MD is at least 30 inches. So all concrete foundations need to be poured that deep, then with rebar and such to keep shape and all that jibber jabber.

Also, I see that you built up one side. That will all erode away. My hills loose 1/2 to 1 inch of soil every year. All heck will break loose if that side washes out or erodes quickly.
Hopefully all that wood will keep it together long enough for you to move it to a proper or new foundation if it does go to heck one day.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Notice that on the side there is a drip line right next to a drop off of the soil = erosion = tilt tilt = PLOP ! Good LUCK ! :caf

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Notice that on the side there is a drip line right next to a drop off of the soil = erosion = tilt tilt = PLOP ! Good LUCK ! :caf

Oh, how'd I miss that!
My barn didn't have gutters before I came along. One side was 1/2-2ft worn away and the other 3+ feet eroded!

Yes, put up gutters! And then use pipe to route it away on both sides. Or into barrels and use the water for livestock/gardens.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looking good so far. 1x4 boards for trim on the corners will close those open places right up, is that what you are planning on using? Glad your parents got it properly leveled. We got a carport too, for our vehicles, not animals. We leveled out the site with the tractor, but still was off on one corner. The guys that put it up leveled it with bricks. We are going to pack red clay around it to finish leveling it up, then go over that with our sandy soil. Keep up the good work! :thumbsup

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
:weeeYou have gotten so much done and I KNOW that any issues that come up along the way, you will know how to take care of that IF and when it happens :) Once we are all professional engineers and barn contractors, we won't have to worry about the what ifs....meanwhile....we continue and work hard and do our best for building and if something is not perfect down the road...we fix it!!!! Just for the record....every single thing we've built here for our sheep and chickens have needed minor adjustments along the way and we learn with each project and continue building and learning....our next project here is improving our chicken area. Lots of work...and looking good to me!!!! :)