Carport Barn

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Looking good! I think we may need to do something similar for our bucks come springtime. Maybe a smaller version of it. How many sheep will be housed in there once it is done?

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, I see what you are talking about, with the patio blocks to level it.

I'm talking about something different. We would dig, a footer maybe 8" wide and a foot deep, and then build a wood form, to pour concrete or build a cement block wall, to bring the footer about 3 or 4 feet above ground. The carport would then sit on top of a sill plate of pressure treated (weather resistant) 2X4. I'm just guessing at the numbers - I think the standard carport has 7 or 8 foot wall supports, so I'm thinking that would give us a 10 to 12 foot wall height, allowing us to have a loft to store hay in. Does that make sense? When we talk to the local carport company, we would have them help us with the logistics, to make sure it made sense to do it that way.
I don't think you need to do all of that if you use one of those pre-fab carports as the base of your structure
It would be a waste of your money
If you were stick building a barn then yes

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
@Devonviolet Lol, I'm no architect, so yes, I would def get in contact with your local carport company and see what they recommend.

@Pearce Pastures It is 20x32 and will have roughly 10 ewes, 1-2 rams, plus 15-20 lambs. The inside configuration is what I'm trying to figure out now. My mom pretty much wants to have three sets of doors on the left side of the barn facing the house, with three pens (one to be used for feed) on the inside, coming out 8'. So I will have 12x32 space for the ewes and lambs and then the indoor/outdoor pens for the ram(s). I will have a dry lot coming off of the barn that will be a bit bigger than 24x64, but I don't have an exact measurement.

One of the pens will be for ewes weaning their lambs. Ughh I can't wait til it's all done so I can take pictures and show you guys :)

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't think you need to do all of that if you use one of those pre-fab carports as the base of your structure
It would be a waste of your money
If you were stick building a barn then yes

Thanks for your feedback, OFA. We are thinking about building the wall up, and putting the carport on top, to get head space for a loft. But, as I think you are saying, it may be cheaper, and easier, to pay for a carport with taller wall supports, to get the roof further off the ground.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback, OFA. We are thinking about building the wall up, and putting the carport on top, to get head space for a loft. But, as I think you are saying, it may be cheaper, and easier, to pay for a carport with taller wall supports, to get the roof further off the ground.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. I have very recent experience with carports. When we moved in August the new place had a pretty nice barn for the girls to live in, I just had to put on a new roof. But, the boys needed a place to get out of the weather, and we needed something to store hay under and a place to milk. There was absolutely nothing I could have done more cost effective than the carports. The standard 12x20 was $595 installed. We got the standard for the bucks shelter and we got one with 1ft taller legs for the hay and milk stand, mostly so you wouldn't have to duck your head when you walked under from the side. It was $695.

Bucks
photo 5 (3).jpg

Buck Pen.jpg

Milk stand
photo (11).jpg

Milk Stand.jpg

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
We will be putting up the sides tomorrow. My parents are taking off and I have off too. I will be taking pictures to keep yall updated on how we do it.

Latest posts