Chaffhaye anyone?!

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
My goats LOVE goat cookies. The harder the better. I use a grain grinder to grind up some of the grain to make the stuff stick together. Cookies are a great way to get some oil into their diet and also as a training tool. Anyone tried clicker training. It works wonders with the goats. They are really fast learners.

My next lesson is to teach them to line up when I come in the gate so they don't charge the gate. I want them to each stand on a brick and wait till I fill the feed pans. It's going to be a challenge, but I think I can do it.

If I manage to train them to do it, I am going to post a video. My reason for such "sillyness" is that I have been diagnosed with a degenerative nerve disorder and a couple weeks ago one of them tripped me and I couldn't get off the ground. Mama had to help me up.

So far, I have them waiting for treats by name. Sort of...

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's also really cool to see them line up for stuff....like the does in the milk line and oh boy no one better try to cut in line lol. We have not had enough does in milk at once to see the milk line in quite awhile now....about 2yrs.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh, @Queen Mum I do hope you can train them! A video would be great. I know that is easier said than done. It is impossible to do training videos when you are the one training AND trying to video.

Very sorry to hear about your diagnosis.
My son was diagnosed in March with a nerve disorder. It is extremely rare worldwide. He lost the ability to walk, use his hands etc... almost overnight. There is no cure BUT long term he will be ok just don't know how long. Also no idea of long term permanent issues. There is no treatment and no data. Fortunately he was a 4/3 on the Hughes scale. 6 =dead, 5= Bedridden and intubated, 4= bedridden 3= able to stand and move with assistance 2= move around unassisted (walk more than 20 meters) 1= ability to walk and use of hands but not run/not fully functional; 0= "Normal"... Meantime there is only ONE known thing to help in Nerve regeneration. It is Lion's Mane. It is a mushroom. :)
We use Paul Stamets-
http://www.fungi.com/product-detail/product/host-defense-lions-mane-capsules-60ct.html

He has been on this for months... we stopped it several weeks ago to see how he was doing without it. Clearly he is going back on it. His hands have become pretty bad.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Oh, so sorry to hear about your son. Nerve disorders are just totally frustrating for the person having them. And when it's your child, well that's even worse. I think I'm 1/2 and edging to 2/3 on the Hughes scale. Depends on the medication at the time.

In the meantime, I will post a video if I can get one. I want to train a couple wethers to pull a cart, like a sulky. It would be a hoot if I could get them working well to have a sulky instead of a wheelchair if and when I get to that point.