Changing goals and speed

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Glad your mobility is up and I'm guessing you feel at least a little better. I'm kinda surprised you didn't ask him to take a pic of the goat's butt and send it to you for evaluation... :lol: I mean, would he have known what to look for or what he was seeing? Just asking, no implications... Glad everyone made it through your absence. :)

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
:lol: My DH is terrified of chickens. We have 58(?). He will take care of them if he has to but they are mine. He isn’t a cat person either and only pets 3 of our 8 cats. Oscar gets evicted from the house every chance DH gets. The first time he worked cattle with us, we were still teenagers and I was in charge of shots, tagging, dehorning with scoops, and castrating. Papaw made DH hold the first bull calf that went through while I cut it. DH flinched every time the calf tensed up as he lost his manhood. Dad then told DH to never p*** me off or I’d castrate him! :old I still drag him into various things around here that I need his help with - like catching chickens. He can’t catch them to save his life! I have to and hand them over. :idunno

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
:lol: My DH is terrified of chickens. We have 58(?). He will take care of them if he has to but they are mine. He isn’t a cat person either and only pets 3 of our 8 cats. Oscar gets evicted from the house every chance DH gets. The first time he worked cattle with us, we were still teenagers and I was in charge of shots, tagging, dehorning with scoops, and castrating. Papaw made DH hold the first bull calf that went through while I cut it. DH flinched every time the calf tensed up as he lost his manhood. Dad then told DH to never p*** me off or I’d castrate him! :old I still drag him into various things around here that I need his help with - like catching chickens. He can’t catch them to save his life! I have to and hand them over. :idunno
I had my husband hold the ram lambs last year when I cut them. It grossed him out, but he held them tight. He is a pretty good sport about things, he will hold the chicken feet while I peel the skin off, but no dragging the guts out! He mostly watched last summer when we slaughtered 3 hogs, on the last one, he tried skinning-a little.

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Now that's something I don't have to deal with, DH will help me gut and skin and all that. He doesn't give shots, that's on me, but as far as processing animals he's good with it. He's actually really handy with the gross things, including changing nasty diapers.
But, remembering how much to feed everyone...yeah no. Or having to dispatch animals either, he will do it, but most of the time I end up doing it. Of course, nobody likes to have to do that, but I have more experience with it.

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I haven't done a photo dump in awhile. It's overcast so not the best photos, but eh...

First is "Spoiled" a 3 year old commercial Boer doe. She's a real peachy, very friendly and nice. She is bred to Crusader, our PB Boer buck and should kid in August. Last one of the year.
001.JPG

Betty in the bathtub. For some reason they love to lay in that thing, Spoiled in the background because she can't not be an attention hog. Betty is due in June.
003.JPG

Sadie now that she's grown up.

009.JPG

Our orphan lambs that are nursing goat Momma's.
013.JPG

Missy the Alpine. She's hanging in the barn since I don't trust her not to pop out babies any day.

015.JPG

Ruby, chilling in the barn still because she's nursing the orphan lambs.
016.JPG

Misc chickens...doing chicken things and thinking I'm going to feed them so they all rushed me.
024.JPG

Dixie with Spoiled and Velvet in the background
026.JPG

Ducks and a few young pullets
029.JPG

My geese trio. Bo is in the front, his two girlfriends behind him. One is a Sebastapol.
030.JPG

Latest posts