Chickens in the sheep pen

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
Sheepscape can I come live with you? SO much GREEN!

Alice Acres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
BrownSheep said:
Sheepscape can I come live with you? SO much GREEN!
I know - green overload. After our drought and no pasture since June...I was totally sucked into all that beautiful GREEN. :)

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you....yes we are blessed with green pretty much always.

However....our climate is cold , though not cold on comparative standards,it is that kind of cold thatchills to the bone as it is so damp. The mud is also deep and sticky!

Still, the scenery is lovely. The Brecon Beacons can't be seen on the pic. due to cloud and mist, but are visible behind our neighbour's house when clearer.

Southdown

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Cool picture. I noticed the lovely dark brahma rooster.

Cornish Heritage

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The Brecon Beacons can't be seen on the pic. due to cloud and mist,
Oh you are in Wales? I know exactly what you mean by the damp having lived in England for the first 29 years of our lives! It really struck us the first time we went back after being over here - that damp really goes through you and the green over there is SO different from here which is really weird as it is still grass but the green over there is somehow more vivid.

Liz

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, Liz....Wales...land of 3 million people and nearly 12 million sheep...so the climate clearly suits them.

The cold/damp combination is bone chilling at times. The local hill sheep seem totally unaffected and it is usual to find 'lumps' across a field in the newly fallen snow which turns out to be slumbering sheep. We have Beulah Speckled Face who regularly do this....their fleece is super-thick and profuse. The few Blue Faced Leicesters we also keep will be huddled under trees or in a little shack which we have.

I would prefer a bit more sun and a little less water though!

bluebirdsnfur

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Sheepshape said:
Beautiful Sheepshape! Love all your critters! Always thought Wales would be a beauitiful country to visit!

We have four small banty hens in our back yard who have never tried to fly over the fence into the sheep yard. And the fence is only 3' tall. :idunno. I certainly wouldn't mind if they scratched thru some of the sheep poo, lol!

Cornish Heritage

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yes, Liz....Wales...land of 3 million people and nearly 12 million sheep...so the climate clearly suits them.
I was raised on a farm on the Devon/Cornwall border on the Tamar River. I can remember going out with Dad after a really bad snowstorm as the sheep were missing. We were walking on top of the snow & poking down through it with sticks until we finally poked a sheep. Then we had to start digging. They were all alive but completely buried!

My family still lives over here & my brother will often tell me he has the fire on in the summer when it is supposed to be warm. BUT sheep do so well over there as your grass grows nearly all year round so there is an advantage to all that damp.

Amazingly enough many many Americans have never eaten lamb - it is not a popular meat over here. We couldn't believe it when we moved over here first. Couldn't buy it! It is more popular in Jewish areas but very rare you see it in the grocery stores.

Liz

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
So true Liz...on a rare occasion lamb is sold in specialty shops and over $20.00 a pound...yikes! In Canada we had New Zealand lamb in most every grocery store...but not here in the States. When I went to visit my daughter in Switzerland, most grocery stores did sell lamb. Not sure why it isn't sold in grocery stores here. Lambs sell for a high price here for Jewish and Muslim holidays around Easter time. A lamb born in January will sell for at least $130.00 and more depending on size (live) at that holiday time. Not sure about wool breeds, but for hair/meat sheep...they are considered lambs up to one year old and by then they are a pretty good weight.

Latest posts