Chickens really- My adventure into Goats

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm so upset this morning. I have two grown Sons, almost 30 in July and 25 already!
I went out to do chores and Levi and Pearl come running to me bawling from under the pine tree. Not in the Goat pen/Coop at all!
Yesterday they had a Friend here and showed him the kids. Off the back of the Run is a gate with two latches. Obviously they didn't latch the gate after. It's extremely windy and thank goodness it didn't rain all night or a coyote come and get my babies.
Poor little things followed me right into the pen and ate breakfast.
New rule around here! No one is allowed to see my animals without me around. 😡

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
We deal with bugs from April to Dec....there season is short there so they breakout "gangbusters" and have no time to waste, making sure the "species" carries on....about the tree mites....they are very difficult to "treat" for because they hide in the bark and can be shaken out of limbs by the wind.....a 50-60' oak tree would be really difficult to treat....the oak tree mite also bites humans and very similar to chiggers....the itch is more intense and lasts a couple of wks on the skin.....i used pine shaving for bedding and when I'd clean there area....I would spread the DE under the shavings and in the shavings....made sure building was open so wind could clear the cloud out before closing them in for the night.....if ya treat the goats outside with a breeze....stand "upwind" treat gost and allow cloud to move-on then turn and do otherside....if the house can't clear the cloud in the matter of minutes, ya don't have enough "circulation" in there and are doing the goats a disservice....that helps them to avoid respiratory issues.....ya have less colds in a cooler room, than a warm one.... :)

I got "raked over the coals" for making adults responsible for gates to fenced area at our other place....one of the dads, packed up his stuff and went back home...about 4hrs away....that was back in 2017 and I'm still being called an "A" hole for it today..... :lol:

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
We deal with bugs from April to Dec....there season is short there so they breakout "gangbusters" and have no time to waste, making sure the "species" carries on....about the tree mites....they are very difficult to "treat" for because they hide in the bark and can be shaken out of limbs by the wind.....a 50-60' oak tree would be really difficult to treat....the oak tree mite also bites humans and very similar to chiggers....the itch is more intense and lasts a couple of wks on the skin.....i used pine shaving for bedding and when I'd clean there area....I would spread the DE under the shavings and in the shavings....made sure building was open so wind could clear the cloud out before closing them in for the night.....if ya treat the goats outside with a breeze....stand "upwind" treat gost and allow cloud to move-on then turn and do otherside....if the house can't clear the cloud in the matter of minutes, ya don't have enough "circulation" in there and are doing the goats a disservice....that helps them to avoid respiratory issues.....ya have less colds in a cooler room, than a warm one.... :)

I got "raked over the coals" for making adults responsible for gates to fenced area at our other place....one of the dads, packed up his stuff and went back home...about 4hrs away....that was back in 2017 and I'm still being called an "A" hole for it today..... :lol:
My night time pens have great circulation so not a problem. The bug problem definitely I need to fix asap.
I'll probably be considered an A-Hole myself! Oh well if adults can't close gates then stay away from the animals. 👍😡
I would of been so devastated if something got my kids.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I never let anyone...including my hubby, ....out there without me...he can close up the chickens....but not my goat ies! No one goes near my babies!! My son Ben wanted take 2kids to his house for Memorial Day, because he was having a few friends over...I was sooo annoyed..even a Chris thought it was rediculous...like we’d let anyone have our goats for a time..they have no clue how to care for them..plus they’d bawl all day! Ugh...kids!

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
I never let anyone...including my hubby, ....out there without me...he can close up the chickens....but not my goat ies! No one goes near my babies!! My son Ben wanted take 2kids to his house for Memorial Day, because he was having a few friends over...I was sooo annoyed..even a Chris thought it was rediculous...like we’d let anyone have our goats for a time..they have no clue how to care for them..plus they’d bawl all day! Ugh...kids!
I had no idea they opened the gates? I thought they looked through the fences? I only feed and care for my goats. My husband goes and sits with the babies but definitely locks up after himself. He is upset also that my babies possibly spent all night outside alone. 😕
My Farrier actually wanted to rent Ozzy for his friends wedding and have him tied up outside in his yard the morning of the wedding! I told him my goats are pets and goats cry and definitely get stressed out. I don't know what the reason for a goat would of been for?
Ozzy I couldn't imagine him behaving for 5 minutes either! 🤠😃😂🤣

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh my goats are all trained for leashes and collars. Just baby Pearl is still learning. Walk better than my dogs..👏🐐🐐🐐🐐
I will get pictures of babies soon out walking..
F696DDFC-FE3E-4295-ABCB-88CA579EC45F.jpeg
1CFE2B5E-7E5E-465C-AE7A-3FD9D9BA0E28.jpeg

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
That’s a good looker...no doubts there! We are taking our animals..just a few, to one of the stores that we sell to for customer appreciation day...but we are setting up a temporary fence, etc...they ar3 Paying for all of it. We just have to do the labor. Which, now sounds....like a bad idea....but, what can we do now? It was agreed upon when we were first getting started, so we were glad to get business..now, honestly, I would rather be much less busy....and can be picky...that sounds bad...but...I’m busting my bum all of the time for an extra $30 for the farm, and Chris flat our told me it’s crazy..the money won’t make him happy...we don’t need it, he needs me to be ..you know, etc...anyways...my goats are leash trained too..but they forget...lol...we don’t do it much lately, so at the start they pitch a fit..but they ar3 all buggers now. Adorable buggers, for sure..but...ten is a lot of buggers!🤣❤️🐐

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yesterday was funny..😃
I had Fancy and Ozzy out to graze. I sat down on the railroad ties we have around the driveway and lawns. Ozzy came up behind me to push me off as usual. He puts his head against my back and pushes. I gave him heck so the silly bugger came around my shoulder and placed his mouth to mine for a kiss! He definitely makes me laugh because he seems so smart! Then off he goes trotting along to eat more grass. I sure love his antics and he is my Sons favourite goat. Ozzy is a bugger and up to something daily. 😀🐐❤️

Latest posts