Choosing a goat breed, ND vs. Kinder

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think the Boer are just beautiful animals. I love their "beefy" look. I almost don't want to use them for meat because they appeal to me so much.

Totally agree!! And, for all their size, they are calm if you just work with them frequently from day one. My bucks here all very tame and mannered. Had to be, at 275-325#, you want manners! I tied mine to a fence and trimmed hooves, no issues....they came when called.

I'll admit -- I never sent one to butcher! Yeah, when I had them most were sold for breeders Back then, a new animal. It was a time when you did "hoorah" for every buckling born! :lol: I had a waiting list -- but, great animals --fullbloods and registered.

Now, I would send one to butcher -- mostly, I will keep about 6 does & 1 buck, selling most of the kids to meat market. It's where things are now.

By the way -- my Saanen does are very quiet. Really soft spoken.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi!! See my avatar...that’s a Kinder!! Yep!! That’s my Busty!! Go for the Kinder!! They are the best!! First...no one has them!! Next..ok, let’s be real...yes, NDs are adorable..I have the, too everyone...but, we all know, they can be difficult to milk, tiny teats, they can be...a tad...prissy? I love my ND..in fact, my buck is ND!! Because I have 4 breeds..and I’m small..and Kinder are, kinda big....if I had kept my gorgeous wether a buck...he’d have only been able to breed with his mom...and I didn’t want two bucks. But, now I wish I’d have kept him as a buck..😩. He’s agouti!! Gorgeous!! She actually had 2 Agouti...if she pops out another agouti..I’m keeping it...period. Her doeling is her mini me....❤️

ok, I milk my ND...FF..very difficult to milk, I even made a thread about it,..great tasting milk though. I milk my mini oberhasli...super easy to milk...stands great...FF...more milk than my ND...now...let’s talk my Kinder.....ok...this was her F3..... but, that girl gave me tooooo much milk for he4 triplets...we had to put her in the stand to nurse, because she’d make too much milk and get engorged...we’d milk a bit off, then the kids could nurse.

plus, she makes a heavy, frothy cream...ohhh, makes the best ice cream...most of the time I keep Busty’s milk separate...because it tastes the best.

Kinders are a bigger goat.....she is maybe 70lbs? She’s my biggest goat. But, hands down, I love her temperament....she’s my herd leader. I’ve had other goats..actually, I had one, that came with her...I sold her..because she became a trouble maker....she was a Pygmy....she didn’t like my ND....

I tried Alpine...Alpine/Nubian, Sanaan....all too big for me.
I’ll show you a picture of Bustys bag..I’m drying her off right now...this is her bag, while drying it off....and I’ll show you pictures of her and the two kids I still have. I’ll also show you my 3 ND..with blue eyes❤️ I love all my goats...but, I’m a sucker for my kinders.....
583272F4-DE67-4EEA-B3B0-B13288013C08.jpeg
2E1FA614-2E16-4ADC-8D4F-26A963D8D6ED.jpeg
6439CCE0-C6AA-49B5-AB37-D8287CFD2016.jpeg
6552D205-CB59-476D-A226-4C602EA4F450.jpeg
708E600B-FB85-41B0-817E-A3807BD84C8A.jpeg
1C4F0B80-61F4-4DB6-92C8-38FF98D67650.jpeg
B1B93C44-327A-4BC0-BAC2-175853169062.jpeg
45A48D0E-9D11-4D04-A70D-AFD72CAF57FB.jpeg
4363EB3B-5B5D-4A17-9B91-CFC9BBA87818.jpeg
A47BC523-C745-4098-941C-4125FD6FF535.jpeg

chanceosunshine

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I only had a few ND's. One was awesome, sweet and lovely. The others were straight up demanding, psycho goats from hell, lol! They wanted life on their terms and I don't work that way. (Not knocking the entire breed because I know there are good ones out there.)

For me the Kinders just work. I can get more milk from one Kinder milking once a day compared to milking a ND twice a day. Kinder to kinder breeding's breed true. I have one buck and he throws consistent babies in size and shape and also in milkabilty. His bucklings/wethers make good meat animals.

As a bit of background - I formerly raised and showed Pygmy goats. I also milked them occasionally and a lot of people don't know how awesome Pygmy milk is. It's like drinking a melted milkshake it's so rich. Nubian milk is pretty awesome too. Mixing the two makes an unbeatable milk. ND milk is good - but Kinder milk (in my opinion) is equal or better.

I'm experimenting with crossing the Kinder's with Kiko, but I'm discovering that for milk production I still prefer the Kinder.

My sample group was small, so I can't guarantee you'll have the same experience. But, I love my girls and they will always have a place here.
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. Love the psycho goat analogy. Lol

I’m leaning heavily towards the Kinder breed at this point. I can barely wait to get my dairy goats!

ETA: I’m so glad to hear that they have bred true for you! That’s one of my bigger concerns.

Last edited:

chanceosunshine

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you, duckfarmer! It’s really helpful to hear from real people about the differences.
You make a great case for the Kinders!
Your goats are lovely!