cigarette butt!

happyvagabonds

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
my little buckling just ate one of my husbands cigarette butts! i tried to get it from him, but he kept dancing out of reach and by the time i got to him, he had swallowed it!

what's going to happen? how can he process this?

so annoyed with hubby and stupid cigarette smoking friends of his who think our damn yard is an ashtray.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
One butt isn't likely to cause any harm. My DH ate them with butter when he was a kid before his mom realized what he'd done...he lived to tell the tale :rolleyes:

Just make your DH clean up and not throw them on the ground any more.

CochinBrahmaLover=)

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Now, I don't know with GOATS but i know for DOGS that if they drink a bit of peroxide, it induces throw up. Could try it, but I don't know what would happen if it doesn't make him hurl..but worse..

I looked it up, and can only find things if a dog eats a cigarrete... So sorry

CochinBrahmaLover=)

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Just in case one butt is enough, here are some symptons :)

Instability

Weakness

Tremors

Hyperactivity

Drooling

Vo miting

Diarrhea

Seizures

Collapse

Inability to breath

Death is also one, but i doubt ONE butt will cause it

marliah

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I use tobacco to deworm my goats and they havent died yet, so I wouldn't worry about it ;)

marlowmanor

Reaction score
marliah said:
I use tobacco to deworm my goats and they havent died yet, so I wouldn't worry about it ;)
I've never heard of deworming with tobacco. Could you give details on that please? Dosage, route (IM, SQ, oral?)? How well does it work for you? How often do you use it? What type/form do you use?

happyvagabonds

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
i'll keep an eye on him. it was just the filter... the part with all the toxin....... bleh.

just wondering how that works for a ruminant... surely he's not going to poop a cigarette filter...

the other day my doeling found a roofing nail and picked it up. i almost had an aneurysm! i was like "Doughnut! No! No!" then went to grab her and she ran away with it... then dropped it on top of the picnic table.

marlowmanor

Reaction score
happyvagabonds said:
i'll keep an eye on him. it was just the filter... the part with all the toxin....... bleh.

just wondering how that works for a ruminant... surely he's not going to poop a cigarette filter...

the other day my doeling found a roofing nail and picked it up. i almost had an aneurysm! i was like "Doughnut! No! No!" then went to grab her and she ran away with it... then dropped it on top of the picnic table.
:hugs They sound just like my 18 month old son! He'll get something he isn't supposed to have and stick it in his mouth then not want me to get it out of his mouth. Or he'll get something and walk off with it. I'll try to call him to me to get it back and he'll go the opposite direction! :gig

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up passing the filter in a few days. Hopefully it will all work out for you. :fl

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
They will actually digest a cigarette but. When you think about all the things that a goat eats that get digested...tree bark, woody weeds and such you shouldn't worry too much.

Now a roofing nail would freak me out too!

marliah

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
marlowmanor said:
marliah said:
I've never heard of deworming with tobacco. Could you give details on that please? Dosage, route (IM, SQ, oral?)? How well does it work for you? How often do you use it? What type/form do you use?
A friend of mine who has been keeping goats for many years told me that's what he uses. He said get the unflavored stuff and he gives 1/3 of a pack of chewing tobacco to each goat til the pack is gone ( so over three days they get a standard small container of chewing tobacco). I mix it with their grain and they eqt it right up. I've read taht many older farmers swear by it, I figured it wasn't going to hurt. I haven't had fecals done so I couldn't tell you our worm load here, but nobody has died so far lol. He said be does it a couple times a year.