Climbing climbing

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Most expensive part is the energizer. The plugin ones work better than solar and are cheaper. You can use those fiberglass poles to make the fence taller. Or take down the top barbwire, which nothing respects it really, and put the hot wire there. Or leave it and get the 5in offset insulators and put the hotwire on that.

Skiesblue

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My husband and I are discussing how to work this. Just a lot of fence involved. Thanks everyone!

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I agree. I had a problem with my dog not caring about my fence to until I got hot wire. No more problem. I hope you're able to find a solution soon.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
What everybody else said. You have a very handsome dog. Black Mouth Cur dogs are darn good dogs and you have a good one!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Gosh... you have an LGD that chases off coyotes and you want to take him away from the livestock and relegate him to yard duty? That just seems wrong somehow. Hope you can get it figured out and make it work so he can continue to do what he obviously likes to do. He's a great looking dog.

Skiesblue

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thank you for the compliments. I’m partial to him and he’s good natured. He is an Anatolian Black Mouth hybrid though. I don’t think BM’s are recommended as LGDs although they have wonderful qualities. We think we can electrify the pens around the barn, giving him a secure area and giving my two older LGDs some down time and some time to train a pup. I have a good pasture dog and the elders can rotate. Any opinions on coyote hybridization w southern wolves? I see every opinion- yes , no, maybe.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
By 'southern wolf' I assume you are talking about a red wolf?
They were, from the beginning, a taxonomic hybridization between coyote and gray wolf. They are extremely rare.

Skiesblue

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I’ve read about red wolves. Neighbors tell me this area had wolves (presumably red) in the past. I grew up in the rural Midwest and I’ve seen coyotes alive and dead. These are taller, light tan in color and brazen. Could be everything’s bigger in Texas coyotes. Anyhow it’s game on for the dogs.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
The only coyotes I've seen in my area of NE TX is the standard sized ones... maybe 45-50 pounds. I understand that in the far northern states there are coywolves where there were not sufficient wolves so they've interbred with coyotes and they are the size of a German Shepherd... 70-80 pounds. I've also heard of coydog crosses that are also larger, but again, haven't seen any here.